? servers

? players online

CPU Fan Problems

• Content Count:  265

So I recently upgraded my PC and I ran into a really strange problem just now. I left my computer on before I went out to dinner today and when I came back my CPU fan was just off. At first I didn't realise it until it started to get a bit warm in my room and my computer was lagging, well thermal throttling is more like it. I turned off the computer and turned it back on (like the dell customer service tells me to do) and the fan still doesn't run. So i plug in the fan into the other CPU fan header and it works fine. I then replug the fan back to the original main cpu fan header and it works fine as well???? I thought I had shorted a circuit or something but it seems I was wrong. I checked the BIOS and everything, the CPU fan should never turn off with my settings if anything it should only go to a lower RPM. This didn't happen the last few days I've been running the computer, so I'm really confused as to what caused this. Anyone have an ideas?

Specs:

CPU: i5 8600k

Motherboard: Aorus Gaming 5 Z370

GPU: GTX 960

RAM: 16GB TridentZ RGB

Cooler: Hyper 212X

Edited by Raventi
forgot to provide specs

• Content Count:  922

I wouldn't be super alarmed by this but one thing could be is the prong is bent where you normally plug the cpu fan into. Other occasions I have seen where my GPU fan has stopped spinning but this is also just a normal system thing to make sure the fan is working correctly. Another case might be the fan isn't getting enough wattage to it but I high doubt this is the case. If anything Raventi I wouldn't be to alarmed about it.

Check your thermal paste and get back to me.

Only thing I can think of.

thermal paste seems fine, i put on a little bit over a rice grain size of arctic silver 5

• Like 1

• Content Count:  658

Does the problem persist when you plug it into the other CPU fan header and is there a problem (maybe cosmetics) with plugging the fan in there?

If your CPU fan header is damaged you can plug the fan(s) into normal fan headers and they would work fine. (You would have to ignore fan speed in bios to prevent CPU fan error on post.)

Is there any type of software that you use to control the CPU fan(s) when windows is actually booted rather than the BIOS?

If there was an OEM software that came with your motherboard you should consider reinstalling or finding an update for the software.

Your description of the problem is kinda vague, as you just said your CPU fans simply turned off and when you tried to plug it into the other CPU header and then back into the old one it was working???? Does the problem persist? Have you run into the problem after that or are you just worried about it happening again? (as such high temps can cause damage to the CPU)

For CPU fans, It won't let you have a setting that will make the fan go down to 0RPM. It is certainly concerning but if the problem doesn't persist you probably would be better off not worrying about it. However if the problem does persist with the fan plugged into the main CPU fan header, It probably is a problem with the motherboard and/or the fan and if you still have a warranty going on the motherboard, you should probably do an RMA and Gigabyte can determine if it is a problem with their hardware. If it really isnt that much of an inconvenience to have it plugged into the secondary CPU fan header than you can just do that, call it a wrap and stop worrying about it.

Another question, you said you upgraded your computer. What parts did you upgrade (seeing the 8th gen i5 with a z370 chipset mobo leads me to believe its those two things but I just want confirmation.)

Edited by angelo

Does the problem persist when you plug it into the other CPU fan header and is there a problem (maybe cosmetics) with plugging the fan in there?

If your CPU fan header is damaged you can plug the fan(s) into normal fan headers and they would work fine. (You would have to ignore fan speed in bios to prevent CPU fan error on post.)

Is there any type of software that you use to control the CPU fan(s) when windows is actually booted rather than the BIOS?

If there was an OEM software that came with your motherboard you should consider reinstalling or finding an update for the software.

Your description of the problem is kinda vague, as you just said your CPU fans simply turned off and when you tried to plug it into the other CPU header and then back into the old one it was working? Does the problem persist? Have you run into the problem after that or are you just worried about it happening again? (as such high temps can cause damage to the CPU)

For CPU fans, It won't let you have a setting that will make the fan go down to 0RPM. It is certainly concerning but if the problem doesn't persist you probably would be better off not worrying about it. However if the problem does persist with the fan plugged into the main CPU fan header, It probably is a problem with the motherboard and/or the fan and if you still have a warranty going on the motherboard, you should probably do an RMA and Gigabyte can determine if it is a problem with their hardware. If it really isnt that much of an inconvenience to have it plugged into the secondary CPU fan header than you can just do that, call it a wrap and stop worrying about it.

Another question, you said you upgraded your computer. What parts did you upgrade (seeing the 8th gen i5 with a z370 chipset mobo leads me to believe its those two things but I just want confirmation.)

So far the problem hasnt occurred again. I'm more just concerned if it will happen again and what even caused it in the first place. I don't have any software controlling the fans, I'm letting the mobo handle it.

I want to avoid plugging the fan into the other cpu fan header just because ocd reasons, makes me feel uncomfortable not gonna lie lol. But if the problem persists then i wont have any other choice.

I upgraded from i5 4690k with stock cooler, Z97M plus, 8 gb of ddr3 ram, and i threw in an extra ssd

• Like 1

Reply to Thread