? servers

? players online

Upgrade for my pc

• Content Count:  796

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vDBjWD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($95.84 @ B&H)

Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($23.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO Video Card

Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Thermaltake - TR2 430W ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.19 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit ($127.98 @ Trusted Tech Team)

Monitor: Samsung - E1720NR 17.0" 1280x1024 Monitor

Monitor: LG - 19M37D-B 18.5" 1366x768 60Hz Monitor

Mouse: Redragon - Centrophorus M601 Wired Optical Mouse ($11.99 @ Amazon)

Other: KOTION EACH G2000 Over-ear Gaming Headphone Headset with Mic Stereo Bass LED Light for PC Game(Blue)

Other: MageGee K1 Backlit Metal Panel Gaming Keyboard for PC and Laptop, USB Wired Keyboard with Water-Resistant Design

Total: $747.48

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-03 16:57 EDT-0400

Any thought on this build, it says the gammax is incompatible with am4, but on the box it states otherwise, so I'll take my chances and use the included heatsink and fan if my current cannot work with ryzen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B3LvzM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI - A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda ES 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($23.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO Video Card

Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Thermaltake - TR2 430W ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.19 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit ($127.98 @ Trusted Tech Team)

Monitor: Samsung - E1720NR 17.0" 1280x1024 Monitor

Monitor: LG - 19M37D-B 18.5" 1366x768 60Hz Monitor

Mouse: Redragon - Centrophorus M601 Wired Optical Mouse ($11.99 @ Amazon)

Other: KOTION EACH G2000 Over-ear Gaming Headphone Headset with Mic Stereo Bass LED Light for PC Game(Blue)

Other: MageGee K1 Backlit Metal Panel Gaming Keyboard for PC and Laptop, USB Wired Keyboard with Water-Resistant Design

Total: $410.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-03 16:51 EDT-0400

Edited by Nate S

• Content Count:  2095

Is there any reason why you have 2 HD's equaling 1.25 TB for $52 when you can get a 2 TB for $54?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Cache-Desktop-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530672711&sr=8-3&keywords=2tb+hdd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q3QMA4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Also, it's completely unnecessary to have 16GB of RAM, you'd be a hundred times better off getting 8GB and putting that money towards a better CPU/GPU. I don't know much about Radeon, but your CPU might be overpowered compared to the GPU too.

Depending on your current hard-drive I'd recommend sticking with what you already have, you'd save $120 on buying Windows 10 again. If you need a new hard-drive you should still look into an alternative for re-buying the OS, $120 is a considerable amount that can be invested elsewhere.

Is there any reason why you have 2 HD's equaling 1.25 TB for $52 when you can get a 2 TB for $54?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Cache-Desktop-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530672711&sr=8-3&keywords=2tb+hdd

Also, it's completely unnecessary to have 16GB of RAM, you'd be a hundred times better off getting 8GB and putting that money towards a better CPU/GPU. I don't know much about Radeon, but your CPU might be overpowered compared to the GPU too.

Depending on your current hard-drive I'd recommend sticking with what you already have, you'd save $120 on buying Windows 10 again. If you need a new hard-drive you should still look into an alternative for re-buying the OS, $120 is a considerable amount that can be invested elsewhere.

If you look at the old comparison those are the hard drives have, and I don't have 16 gigs of ram, I only have 8, my CPU is currently bottlenecked and the only things that will be changing are the CPU motherboard and memory

• Content Count:  265

regarding the RAM comment, the recommended amount of RAM goes up over the years. just as how you didnt even need 2 or 4 gb in the past, it has evolved to 8 gb minimal for gaming. and now its becoming minimal to have 16gb. him getting 16gb is a very good futureproof investment, in a year or two i can almost guarantee that he will have to upgrade to 16 if he only gets 8 now

Also get some 1080p monitors nate smh come on its 2018

• Like 3
Edited by Raventi

regarding the RAM comment, the recommended amount of RAM goes up over the years. just as how you didnt even need 2 or 4 gb in the past, it has evolved to 8 gb minimal for gaming. and now its becoming minimal to have 16gb. him getting 16gb is a very good futureproof investment, in a year or two i can almost guarantee that he will have to upgrade to 16 if he only gets 8 now

WHERE THE HECC DOES IT SAY 16 GB

And I got a TV for it that's 1080p

• Content Count:  265

WHERE THE HECC DOES IT SAY 16 GB

And I got a TV for it that's 1080p

not gonna lie, only skimmed through the list xd didnt really pay attention to it. 1080 tv 10/10

• Like 1

My point is that 16GB of RAM, given his system, makes absolutely no sense. If you have a high-end PC, then yes, 16GB of RAM is required to fully utilize it.

In absolutely no way is this future proofing the system. The system is bottle-necked by the motherboard and PSU, restricting it from future upgrades.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-much-ram-do-you-really-need-for-gaming/

But if you're looking for the best way to improve framerate, a better video card is going to make a much bigger difference than going from 8GB to 32GB, which may have no effect at all.

In a handful of gaming performance tests, Techspot found basically no difference between 8GB and 16GB in terms of framerate. In their tests, GTA V (9GB RAM total usage) plus 65 open Chrome tabs (2.2GB usage) performed at 56 fps with both 16GB and 8GB RAM configurations. Similarly, Batman: Arkham Knight (9.8GB total usage) plus the same 65 Chrome tabs pulled 102 frames at 16GB and only dropped to 101 with 8GB.

RAM is more useful in web browsing; hence why tests are done with chrome/tabs open. It has applications in rendering and games, but it's limited and completely overshadowed by GPU/CPU's.

Future proofing a system would be upgrading the motherboard to account for upgrading to a better CPU/GPU in the future.

Future proofing a system would also be upgrading the PSU to ensure enough wattage for a better CPU/GPU, or for an SSD in the future.

Future proofing the system is not wasting money on RAM, something that will not benefit your system whatsoever unless, for some odd reason, you have 300 tabs open on chrome while gaming.

If you need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM for something, your CPU/GPU will be obsolete for the task so it doesn't even matter. Similarly to how your GPU/CPU from the 2GB/4GB era is completely obsolete for any games/applications that require 8GB of RAM. Take any old computer with 4GB of RAM and upgrade it to 16GB, you aren't going to miraculously see an improvement.

My point is that 16GB of RAM, given his system, makes absolutely no sense. If you have a high-end PC, then yes, 16GB of RAM is required to fully utilize it.

In absolutely no way is this future proofing the system. The system is bottle-necked by the motherboard and PSU.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-much-ram-do-you-really-need-for-gaming/

RAM is more useful in web browsing; hence why tests are done with chrome/tabs open. It has applications in rendering and games, but it's limited and completely overshadowed by GPU/CPU's.

First of all I only have 8gb of ram listed, secondly my computer cannot my bottle neck by the PSU because I have about 200 watts of headroom.

Thirdly I am not attempting to future proof, I just wanted to upgrade with the 400 dollars I have.

First of all I only have 8gb of ram listed, secondly my computer cannot my bottle neck by the PSU because I have about 200 watts of headroom.

Thirdly I am not attempting to future proof, I just wanted to upgrade with the 400 dollars I have.

I was replying to Raventi, stating RAM would have very little to do with your system; and RAM is in no way related to future proofing a system.

Your OP is fairly confusing as there's little to no explanation.

You've also miscalculated your PSU, you really only have ~100 watts of headroom. You never took into account fans, monitor, mouse, keyboard, ext. Keeping in mind you're supposed to aim for ~80% of your PSU. But it looks like you should be fine. I've probably calculated it wrong too, as I quickly rushed this and assumed you had 1 80mm fan and punched in other quick things real quick. Feel free to update it with the correct information.

You've included the CPU fan, but you need to keep in mind your case has several fans, USB's, LEDs, audio/mic inputs that require power as well.

https://outervision.com/b/5Ossi1

You're almost certaintly fine for your current build though.

This is just a response to Raventi, who believes 16GB of RAM (which will have no affect on the system) is future proofing it opposed to upgrading a PSU, CPU, or GPU; the former crippling the system from receiving upgrades- effectively ruining the concept of "future proofing" it.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread