? servers

? players online

!votekick/!voteban

• Content Count:  1583

I understand at face value, that a votekick or voteban system seems detrimental to the server and it's population, hence why it is disabled by default, however, I feel that under strict scrutiny, it can do a lot of good.

I don't have the specific numbers for it (I'm not sure anyone does for that matter), but from my experience, an admin is only present on the server for about 60% of the time that it is active. The rest of the time is free range (with the exception of tedious player reports, which only server justice to players AFTER the fact.).

I feel that a !votekick/!voteban system would be very useful to keep griefers, micspammers, and general rule breakers from ruining everyone else's fun AS THE GAME IS GOING ON. This would prevent players from having to deal with trolls and alike without having to go through the process of a complaint, or even accompanied by a complaint. However, I understand, it would need to be under heavy restriction.

For starters, a !voteban would only last 30 minutes. This would keep perpetrators off the server for long enough to think they are banned, or to allow an admin to deal with the situation appropriately. Secondly, kicks/bans would only be able to be voted on every 20 or so minutes. This would keep players from voting back and forth against each other as well as ensure that the player has been consistently breaking the rules for an extended period. The bans should also require at least 10 people on the server (to keep two or three players on the server from kicking someone they don't like during low pop hours) and should require a 90% concensus (to ensure there is an agreement that the player is disruptive).

Lastly, this is something that would need to be made clear: the !votekick/!voteban system is not to be used jokingly as the !calladmin system sometimes can be. Any abuse CAN AND WILL BE SEVERELY PUNISHED.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  391

I remember one time where the ttt plugin glitched out and you could actually vote kick/ vote ban people. Lets just say a lot of people got vote banned . Even respected regulars that normally wouldn’t do something like this and break rules jumped in and started vote banning people.

Giving admin commands to players is the worst possible idea. I know as of now if I came on and saw a server had a vote kick/ban command, I would abuse the living shit out of it. Regulars aren’t ready for that kind of power lol, if you want more admins, encourage people to apply or apply yourself.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  4441

I feel that a !votekick/!voteban system would be very useful to keep griefers, micspammers, and general rule breakers from ruining everyone else's fun

to help griefers, micspammers, and general rule breakers ruin everyone else's fun*

• Like 1

• Content Count:  615

I can already see poor abomination getting vote banned for "being annoying". So long as people are still dicks this will never work lol

• Like 7

• Content Count:  4441

The goal is to make it restricted enough to be effective, I'd happily take a 30 minute ban to see some RDMer slapped with a perm.

I used to hang around and grief the fuck out of servers with a pretty large group of guys, and let me tell you any kind of vote function on the end of player enforcement is a bad idea unless you add dozens of restrictions which really make the "effectiveness" of it void. When I was staff or even when I was a player there was constant almost daily instances where one person would say something and literally the entire server would bandwagon it on servers like JB and TTT. Even looking at servers like ZE where large groups of people are constantly fucking arguing and shittalking eachother I could see room for error.

The purpose of an idea like this is to create less oversight, more player-sided enforcement of rules which falls apart when you need more oversight to make sure people aren't abusing it. Someone who is breaking the rules could just as easily be banned through player complaint or calling an admin online with there being very few scenarios where both would fail, I'm however not saying it's a perfect system. Ironically player complaints would be same avenue that would be used to stop possible abuse of a voteban which may even not get reported or caught in time.

Taking a partially unreliable, under-used system and making it the catalyst to enforce abuse by something that is meant to make things easier is in my opinion, counter-logic. This system would work exactly the same as Calladmin in terms of oversight, which is exactly why it is not a good idea. Most suggestions like this that mean to automate or add structure to some part of missing administration are not as much a solution as they are a symptom of the problem.

@All Ts I understand what you're saying and you certainly make a good point, as I have less experience with this. This being said, I'm curious to see what Delirium has in the works.

My purpose in this wasn't nescessarily to reduce the need for oversight, but to provide a system that players can use for the already present lack of oversight. I tried to come up with ways to make it very difficult to abuse but in the end you're probably right. Is there anything that would have a similar result by means of a different system, or are players just forced to tough it out until an admin shows up?

@euro, my point exactly, players have to tough it out until an admin shows up or justice is dealt on the forums. What I was looking for was something that could keep trolls from affecting the server in the time admins aren't on, which can often be 2-3 hours even with a !calladmin. If there's nothing that would achieve this without bringing more bad than good, that's all I was looking for.

Reply to Thread