? servers

? players online

I7 6700k or i7 7700k

• Content Count:  1406

A friend of mine is giving me a gtx 1070 ftw soon as long as i upgrade my cpu and psu. Im gonna get a 750w evga psu, but im not sure what cpu to get. The 6700k is cheaper on amazon right now vs the 7700k, but would it be worth it to spend the 40-50 extra? I use my pc for gaming of corse, but also recording and rendering at 1080p. Would the 7700k work better for my needs with the added cost, or would there be such little improvement that i wouldnt really notice the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance

• Content Count:  1051

The 7700k is a newer gen processor, meaning in the long run it would benefit you more. It will most likely last you longer, but performance wise I can't say there is a huge difference. There would be a small and possibly noticeable difference if you are looking for it, otherwise not. I think it comes down to how long you will go before replacing it.

• Content Count:  658

The 7700k is a great choice here.

The 6700k, sporting a Skylake processor microarchitecture (made in 2015), isn't far performance wise but imo the spending the extra 35ish for the Kaby-Lake 7700k is worth it.

Benchmarks show that the 7700k is about 9% faster and promises a solid amount of future-proofing. The 7700k also comes with a higher clock speed out of box and with its low TDP, it doesn't need a great cooler for overclocking.

You've probably heard of microcenter and they're selling the processor for about 35 less cutting it at an equal price with the 6700k on amazon. (You do need to pick it up in-store but I think the 35ish dollars is worth the trip)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485321/core_i7-7700k_kaby_lake_42_ghz_lga_1151_boxed_processor

The 7700k is a great choice here.

The 6700k, sporting a Skylake processor microarchitecture (made in 2015), isn't far performance wise but imo the spending the extra 35ish for the Kaby-Lake 7700k is worth it.

Benchmarks show that the 7700k is about 9% faster and promises a solid amount of future-proofing. The 7700k also comes with a higher clock speed out of box and with its low TDP, it doesn't need a great cooler for overclocking.

You've probably heard of microcenter and they're selling the processor for about 35 less cutting it at an equal price with the 6700k on amazon. (You do need to pick it up in-store but I think the 35ish dollars is worth the trip)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485321/core_i7-7700k_kaby_lake_42_ghz_lga_1151_boxed_processor

Nearest microcenter to me is like 5 hours away :(

• Content Count:  361

The 7700k runs much hotter than the 6700k, so if you dont want to pay for a beefier cooler then go with the 6700k

• Like 1

• Content Count:  265

UserBenchmark is very helpful in these cases. Now do note that this wont be the same in all cases. Here's a benchmark for i7 7700k vs i7 6700k

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3647vs3502

I personally would go for something that's in the newest generation which is Coffee Lake. According to UserBenchmark an i5 8600k is better than an i7 7700k and its a bit cheaper as seen here http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/3647vs3941

Also just letting you know, if you get a new motherboard, more often than not, you will have to do a fresh reinstall of windows, because drivers are set to whatever motherboard you download on. If you don't do a fresh reinstall then it'll be a driver nightmare. Sometimes you'll get extremely lucky and nothing will go wrong if the motherboards are really similar. So assuming the 7700k would work in your current motherboard then go for that

Edited by Raventi

I would highly recommend you pick one of these 7700ks up now due to the pricing at $290(eBay)-$315(Amazon)

Note: you will need to buy cooling, shouldn't be too expensive

I got an evo212 cooler right now. Think that would be plenty? Only planing on doing 4.5ghz for oc.

@Raventi

I do plan on getting an 8th gen sometime next year or so, but i dont have the cash right now for a new mobo and a new copy of windows. I think right now, im gonna go with the 7700k being as the prices are just about the same now.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Reply to Thread