? servers

? players online

SG Failed My Experiment

• Content Count:  501

so did you do this experiment as an excuse to be a girl or what

I mean, I don't really need an excuse to be a girl. When I want to be feminine, I always will.

I did this experiment, to see how SG regulars would react to a variety of things

• Content Count:  1120

Another little social experiment concerning the young and female? How many times is this now?

This for another HS essay or did you read an article on yahoo and think you just had to walk in their shoes yourself to figure out whether or not activity on SG was like every other place on the internet and gaming?

Could have just asked instead of wasting your time, or well... just payed attention while in-game any other time I suppose. Yeah, there's a disparity concerning the treatment and interactions between the young, gay, high voiced, and perceived female population.

Welcome to the internet.

• Content Count:  2694

Anonymity is one hell of a drug. It's the internet, what do you expect? Toughen up, who cares if someone said "fuck you" "can I fuck you?" "you stupid hoe" ? It's an online gaming server where most of the users are anonymous, they'll do whatever.

• Content Count:  11501

Edit : For the people saying, "it's the internet, what do you expect". I expected more from SG regulars who know how to follow rules and at least act decent when admins are online.

Spiked and I felt it was needed to respond to this, so I'll post his quote first (he was directly responding to the quoted portion above):

Here's a big problem that you think that we as community managers can effect on the behaviors of strangers on the internet. While our rules are an attempt to mold players to uphold specific ideals, as you can see we continually ban people for breaking all kinds of rules. Prime example is racism. We've had an essentially zero tolerance policy on racism on the servers for 10 years, yet we ban probably 5-10 people a week for it.

You actually have a flaw in your "experiment" that you think because of how you talk people break rules? Is it against the rules for someone to say 'Shut up hoe'? Not exactly. If thats all is said, definatly no. If they continue to harass someone then yeah there could be grounds but that rarely happens. Basically the purpose of this was to start drama where there really wasn't any to begin with.

With this single post, you've probably made your own situation worse for it. Any kind of support/protection as managers we could give you is gone because you decieved the community. You've ruined your own reputation. You alone will have to accept it.

Now it's my turn.

Let me be explicitly clear when I say that I am an advocate for this place being generally harassment-free. We recognize that there will be differences and some people just won't get along, but hopefully we can all agree on a fundamental basis that, at the end of the day, we just want to play video games with our friends without being actually, seriously harassed. Sometimes drama is unavoidable - shit just happens. Other times, there is an obvious reason and that reason was easily avoidable. A good example is there was a thread made about someone who is transgendered and was asking people to refer to them as a girl. There is absolutely no way I would ever call them that as I don't personally think that makes any biological sense - but I'm not about to go into a channel with them and start a philosophical debate that would only end in drama.

The point I'm making is 'recognize drama'. This is clearly fucking drama. If you truly wanted to do some sort of social experiment pertaining to this, you honestly could have just messaged one of SG's many females and asked to follow them around and record how they're treated, ask them about how they're treated privately, etc. There were so many better ways to go about doing this than what you chose, let alone coming on here to scold our playerbase that they don't match up to your standards of chivalry. I'm not even going to go into a debate about the way women treat men or anything of that sort, this is honestly just a reply to the actions you took.

Personally, I think you're incredibly lucky that one of the AO's did not immediately ban you for doing what you did. The lengths to which you went to doing this make me think that you have some deeper seeded issues that I suggest you sit down and talk to someone about, because this is not even remotely normal behavior. I'm honestly really not trying to insult you, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it and tell you this is normal when it isn't. Seriously dude, grow up. This is the kind of shit people do then run and complain to us when they get made fun of for trying to deceive an entire community of people.

If people are transgendered here then that's one thing - this is something entirely different. We will not tolerate the amount of drama and deception that went along into this whole thing. The fact that I have spent the last two hours with Spiked discussing this and figuring out what we are going to do and how we are going to respond is incredibly discouraging. This is some next level ridiculousness and I honestly can't believe I really have to talk to someone about this kind of shit.

• Like 20
Edited by Caution

Reply to Thread