? servers

? players online

Garry's Mod TTT

• Content Count:  4441

A5gTpVL.png

SUMMARY

I believe we should re-think the decision to not run a Garry's Mod TTT server. Garry's Mod has a higher population than it did back when our community for TTT was thriving. The game does better than ARK, better than Rust, better than 7 Days To Die, has 1/4th the population of CS:GO. This game has a strong community, good anti-cheats/mods available and is one of the oldest games out there on Steam that is still standing to this day. It will genuinely make our community better.

REASONS

1. When we had the event for TTT even with minimal old players the server filled up at 3:00 AM to 20+ players.

2. Requires very little effort/modding and by the isolated test we got from the event people barely care about modding besides maybe a slay/report function.

3. Many of our older players showed interest in coming back & playing due to the server being back, many who we rarely ever see.

4. Minimal of our CSGO TTT players even dropped by to play GMOD or even showed interest in it at all. The server average did not budge at all. If you don't believe me check the TTT stats yourself from 4/29/17 to 5/02/17. Obviously adding an official server and not the event might have a more profound effect but it will most likely not even be noticeable, some of our TTT admins don't even own Garry's Mod.

5. GMOD TTT is by far more in depth and more built upon than CSGO.

The Magneto Stick, # of Maps, Not Broken Secrets, Punch O' Meter, Ability to Mod, Traitor Weapons, Detective Weapons, etc.. Overall it's just a lot more indepth and IMO fun than our CSGO TTT.

CONCLUSION

This server was popular years ago and there is no reason why it can't be popular now. It will have positive effects on our community, increase our player base, increase our subscriber count, create fun and nostalgia for all of our both new players old & new. This game is more than a decade old and I feel as if we're really missing out on a golden opportunity.

[video=youtube;et-m0BRbpus]

• Like 10

• Content Count:  3401

I'm a strong believer in getting Garry's Mod servers (Prop Hunt anyone?) and we can get new players from Gmod into the community.

My only two issues however:

When I'm on Gmod TTT or CSGO TTT, I won't be on the other server populating it, do we have enough players to populate both servers at the same time?

Would admins still have to ban someone manually on Sourcebans after they banned someone in Garry's Mod?

@frosty

The CS:GO and GMOD TTT servers are likely to not share playerbases and though some of the older admins might opt for GMOD TTT the truth is that CSGO is a much more popular game that our CS:GO players will NOT switch off of come hell or high water. If you read my post with a fine tooth comb I mentioned this a few times throughout it but more or less we should be able to build a good sector of the SG Community pretty quickly if we can get the server up & running. During the MGT event the server had no effect on our CS:SO populace, ofcourse a more permanent server will have a more profound effect but the fact is that if anything it will be marginally impacting CS:GO if anything- for the greater good of SG. I think this point has been massively overblown on other threads if I'm going to be honest, a lot of SG's current CS:GO populace are only into PC gaming due to CS:GO, they're simply not interesting in branching out.

If we were to have a ULX Module for Source Bans it is possible to have bans fluidly run through, I gave a ULX module to Spiked a few months ago actually relating to TTT but I'm unsure if it was ever tested. I'm sure a TA or even myself could figure out how to get a hold or make what we need. Being that tons of the current TTT servers are using SB it must be possible at the very least.

• Content Count:  3401

Yeah I agree completely, I'm a big fan of both Gmod TTT and CS:GO TTT - someone also remade Rooftops which looks absolutely amazing.

I just don't want to see one server die because we have two, not saying one will it's just a thought.

• Content Count:  2206

I don't think at this point you could just pop up a new GMOD TTT server and be able to thrive. We made a TTT server when TTT was just getting big in GMOD and became one of the more popular TTT servers but eventually died out. I think the TTT servers that are currently in GMOD have already cemented themselves into the game and I don't think us just starting one would sustain for long. It seems like it'll be the same thing that happens whenever we try to setup a napalm server which has all the same points that you made. All the old people would come back to play on it, but then it dies out and nobody wants to play it consistently for more than a month.

I don't think at this point you could just pop up a new GMOD TTT server and be able to thrive. We made a TTT server when TTT was just getting big in GMOD and became one of the more popular TTT servers but eventually died out. I think the TTT servers that are currently in GMOD have already cemented themselves into the game and I don't think us just starting one would sustain for long. It seems like it'll be the same thing that happens whenever we try to setup a napalm server which has all the same points that you made. All the old people would come back to play on it, but then it dies out and nobody wants to play it consistently for more than a month.

Napalm has been outgrown overtime by more advanced game modes and realistically died with CS:S, Garry's Mod has been chugging along for more than a decade with TTT being around for more than 5 years.

Using the MGT as an isolated test even when we had low numbers of old players and community regulars on the server still did very well, this was without any kind of extra addition. We had no reports, no skins, no store system, no extra guns, no special hud, all people seemed to really want was to play TTT and the server did really well.

Point being, Napalm does not have all the points that I made and Gmod TTT is much more popular and reliable. The notion that servers cement themselves and stop others from growing is simply not true- any TTT server that can reach upwards of 6-8 players can easily get the recognition to spike at the same level or greater than the popular servers.

• Content Count:  2206

Napalm has been outgrown overtime by more advanced game modes and realistically died with CS:S, Garry's Mod has been chugging along for more than a decade with TTT being around for more than 5 years.

Using the MGT as an isolated test even when we had low numbers of old players and community regulars on the server still did very well, this was without any kind of extra addition. We had no reports, no skins, no store system, no extra guns, no special hud, all people seemed to really want was to play TTT and the server did really well.

Point being, Napalm does not have all the points that I made and Gmod TTT is much more popular and reliable. The notion that servers cement themselves and stop others from growing is simply not true- any TTT server that can reach upwards of 6-8 players can easily get the recognition to spike at the same level or greater than the popular servers.

I understand what you mean but I my question is if this is true then why did we scrap the GMOD TTT server to begin with if it was so popular. From when I played TTT yes it had its moments and for a very long time it was consistently always full. However, like Napalm, like skill surf, like gungame, everyone raves about how they would rather play it but there is no sustained population that would warrant putting all the work into it and even the old GMOD TTT server eventually would be empty more than it would have 5 players in it which is why it was most likely scrapped in the first place.

I just don't see this working. I've read countless threads on how great gun game is and how awesome it would be to have gungame like we did the very first time around having the gun game server. Everyone says they will populate it and why haven't we already done this. The higher ups fold, do it, its popular for a week at the most, and you start to see the decline of a player base. If we have a TTT server in CSGO that is almost always full, why would they one, want to split that player base up, and two, put all that work into a server that they have already seen fail to just make the small crowd of louder players happy. I believe this is exactly why the refuse to make a permanent gun game server and I have a feeling that it will be the same for this.

Also, don't get me wrong. I would love to see GMOD TTT. I think TTT is better suited for GMOD as do many other people, however there are also people who have not played GMOD TTT and only know CSGO TTT which is exactly how the player base will get split and you will end up taking away from each other. I base this theory on the fact that the only reason I go into the CSGO TTT server is because its TTT and we don't have a GMOD server. If we had a GMOD server I wouldn't step foot in the CSGO one again and you will have the older players who think the same. I'm all for trying it, I just don't think the higher ups who have to put the work in knowing its failed once before will want to do it.

Also, take what I say with a grain of salt, I do not know why the old GMOD TTT server was taken down but just from what I remember I can guess it's because it stopped being as popular as it once was.

EDIT: I also have to rep the oldfags and say how dare you spit on the name of napalm, this great community was founded on the morals and fun times that were had in the napalm server. :kappa:

I understand what you mean but I my question is if this is true then why did we scrap the GMOD TTT server to begin with if it was so popular. From when I played TTT yes it had its moments and for a very long time it was consistently always full. However, like Napalm, like skill surf, like gungame, everyone raves about how they would rather play it but there is no sustained population that would warrant putting all the work into it and even the old GMOD TTT server eventually would be empty more than it would have 5 players in it which is why it was most likely scrapped in the first place.

I just don't see this working. I've read countless threads on how great gun game is and how awesome it would be to have gungame like we did the very first time around having the gun game server. Everyone says they will populate it and why haven't we already done this. The higher ups fold, do it, its popular for a week at the most, and you start to see the decline of a player base. If we have a TTT server in CSGO that is almost always full, why would they one, want to split that player base up, and two, put all that work into a server that they have already seen fail to just make the small crowd of louder players happy. I believe this is exactly why the refuse to make a permanent gun game server and I have a feeling that it will be the same for this.

Also, don't get me wrong. I would love to see GMOD TTT. I think TTT is better suited for GMOD as do many other people, however there are also people who have not played GMOD TTT and only know CSGO TTT which is exactly how the player base will get split and you will end up taking away from each other. I base this theory on the fact that the only reason I go into the CSGO TTT server is because its TTT and we don't have a GMOD server. If we had a GMOD server I wouldn't step foot in the CSGO one again and you will have the older players who think the same. I'm all for trying it, I just don't think the higher ups who have to put the work in knowing its failed once before will want to do it.

Also, take what I say with a grain of salt, I do not know why the old GMOD TTT server was taken down but just from what I remember I can guess it's because it stopped being as popular as it once was.

EDIT: I also have to rep the oldfags and say how dare you spit on the name of napalm, this great community was founded on the morals and fun times that were had in the napalm server. :kappa:

Tfw all that's left of Napalm is weeaboos running from zombies. :kappa:

While I respect your opinion I think comparing GMOD TTT to anything like Gungame, Napalm, etc.. is like comparing your little league team to the Yankees, it just doesn't translate. GMOD TTT was so good that there are copies across of it on almost all modifiable games, this gamemode has truly passed the test of time.

I can't speak for the other side of your argument as far as why it was taken down sadly. I was not at SG at the time the server declined. I believe @Extreme Potatoes probably knows since he's the SG wikipedia about anything, gonna tag him in on that one. I will say that just because it didn't work once does not mean it will not work again, there are a million factors to keep in mind when managing a server.

Edited by All Ts

• Content Count:  5108

Our Vanilla TTT server had periods of time where population decreased immensely but usually always had all of the slots filled. I remember upon first discovering the server in August 2013, it was at least half-full everyday and I had enjoyed consistently logging on for 12 hours a day. When late September hit and everyone started going back to school, the server went from being always full to barely having anyone on until around 2PM-2AM EST (except on weekends). I specifically remember consistently joining the empty server with @Nuclear Onion @Bdcoll @Anguish @Sidearmsavage. The five of us (among others) would spam invite everyone on our friends list to get people on. When winter break came, the population would increase a lot and after the break was over, the population dropped but not as hard as it did when school first started back up. This would follow suit until school started back up in September 2014. The server had taken a dive then and interest in the server had appeared to have been lost.

@XeNo had put up a Custom TTT server with a bunch of new traitor weapons and add-ons sometime in 2014 and for a period of time it split the population with our Vanilla server, but in the end the Vanilla server prevailed. @Spartan had stepped down, who initially managed the server, which left an empty slot. Not too shortly before, I came back to AO with the intention to manage both DarkRP and TTT. After many valiant efforts from others to try and populate the server, I had said that I would step up to the plate and do what I must to try and revive the server. I must admit that with the amount of time I spent working on DarkRP (even with the tremendous help I received from @Nishok and @R3TROATTACK), I was unable to find time to be able to handle my duties on TTT and overall neglected it. I do still feel at fault for the fate of our GMod TTT server. Upon stepping down in March of 2015, I do not remember much of what happened to the server other than a revamp of the server and it being replaced with CS:GO TTT shortly after.

• Like 1
Edited by eXtr3m3

• Content Count:  2103

I can at least answer this

The original TTT server died because, after over a year of trying, we could not regain a stable population for a dying game. Many different changes were attempted and none of them were successful, and eventually the server was scrapped.

I honestly don't know how us having a gmod TTT server would go. Its around 6:30 rn, and as I look, I see about 3/4 of the current TTT servers are sitting at 0, and less than half of the ones with players have over 20. Now, my internet is shit right now, and I know yesterday when I looked, there were like 750 TTT server, and rn i'm only able to load about 400. But thats still a very high number of empty servers, considering that means that there are only about 20-40 servers that reach the same population as our CSGO TTT server.

However, your point about old regulars coming back still stands. Would that be enough to get our server on its feet? Maybe, honestly I couldn't tell you.

I guess it is up to the higher ups whether they want to spend the time/resources on this. I could see it going either way, although I'm still of the opinion that going back to GMOD probably isn't the best step for us.

Edit: And yes, you will argue that it is not a dying game. But we started having struggles with it around the 2012-2013 era, when it WAS dying (averaging less than 10000 players) and even when the population of the game itself got better, that didn't seem to increase the population on our server.

• Like 2
Edited by Octa

Reply to Thread