? servers

? players online

Requirements for applying for admin.

• Content Count:  697

For a while now I have been debating whether or not to make this post but I feel that I should. I am talking about making the post requirement to apply for the rank of admin the whole reason we change the requirements in the first place was because we need more server admins to police our quick growing servers as we wanted to be seen as a community with a lot of active admins. But now I feel that time has passed and we should go back to looking for quality rather than quantity that the initial change had in mind.

While this idea may get dismissed, I still wanted to make an effort. I feel that 100 post was a good benchmarker for people to get well acquainted with the forums and to allow the community to get to know them. So that people who are commenting on apps even if they haven’t interacted with them in-game can still give their views on the candidate constructively. It is also useful for the person to get well acquainted with the forums as that is how the will deal with ban appeals, admin complaints, perm requests, and checking bans.

Having it at 100 also disallows people who just join the community and put into minimal effort to meet the requirements to clog the admin application forums. I feel that with the amount of admin applications it normalizes constantly have nearly 10 on the run, I don’t see how people can decide who is getting what when they are dealing in such high numbers. Overall the pure amount of admin apps deteriorates the application system whether it explicitly does it or not.

And even with having the admin requirements lower it isn’t making that huge of a difference in the amount of approvals at roughly 7/60 approvals being below 100 at the time (rough data collection could be a little off). Which doesn’t warrant keeping the large amount of to be coming through. One argument can be made that people want to know what they need to work on and for this I say it doesn’t need an application but rather just to ask around, people will say what they think the person needs to work on.

In conclusion, I feel that changing the post back to 100 is a good idea and I feel that if nothing there should be a discussion about since the original pretense for the change is no longer here. This is a in the moment post I made on my phone so take any grammatical errors and what I say with a grain of salt it is my general opinion. I would like to see what everyone else has to say I am looking forward to reading replies, thanks for reading this long post.

• Like 2
Edited by Lokibelowkey

• Content Count:  2579

Applying for admin != getting admin.

There isn't causal link between the requirements and the quality of our admins, our standards have not changed. I understand where you are coming from, but this does not inherently create worse admins. IAs and BDs go through applications regardless of requirements, this alone acts as a quality control, if you like to see it that way. I don't think you know exactly was the pretense was, since the discussion leading to the change was way beyond your reach at the time.

That's just my point of view, I don't think we need to re-reform the requirements for admin applications. I believe the change has proven to work, and reversing it because it doesn't seem to be needed anymore is a fairly weak argument.

• Like 12

• Content Count:  1469

I disagree completely with this idea of bringing back 100 posts because it just discourages players from wanting to become admin or staying or even worse restricts a potentially great admin from becoming admin because the person doesn't like to post on the forums or takes too long for him or her to get 100 posts since they solely focus on server work. With a 10 post limit for applications the applicant can see what they need to improve on and what they do well through the application voting process. Also all of the applications get reviewed by the higher ups and many people trust the higher ups to make that judgement in whether or not someone should become admin or not.

• Like 1

Applying for admin != getting admin.

There isn't a causal link between the requirements and the quality of our admins, our standards have not changed. I understand where you are coming from, but this does not inherently create worse admins. IAs and BDs go through applications regardless of requirements, this alone acts as a quality control, if you like to see it that way. I don't think you know exactly was the pretense was, since the discussion leading to the change was way beyond your reach at the time.

That's just my point of view, I don't think we need to re-reform the requirements for admin applications. I believe the change has proven to work, and reversing it because it doesn't seem to be needed anymore is a fairly weak argument.

and i am not attempting to insinuate that there is a link between applying for admin and getting it but rather about admin candidates and how the change affected the quality and the amount of admin applicants and how the old system weeded out and helped by having people get well acquainted with the forums and get known by all no server restriction. also when the exact AT meeting happened that directly lead to the change of course I wasn't there, but I did have conversations with people who were higher-ups at the time pushing for the change and the reasoning that they had for it for one example all t's when we were discussing the topic he explained about it and during the community meeting I was there to listen and also give my views on the situation. so yes while I was not there at the highest level and wouldn't know the exact reasoning behind I do know what the main people advocating for it and their reasons behind it also what was being discussed at the community level. To my understanding a big reason why people were advocating for it (including myself) is that we had vastly growing servers and not nearly enough admins at least some wanted the community to be known as one that approves a lot of admins and demotes quickly if there bad rather than really good admins that were never on.

and I do fully understand that IAs and BDs are quality control I have nothing but respect for your decisions on the subject I do not mean to sound like you do not prevent faulty applicants.

but for the marginal amount of admins who get approved do not warrant the slew of applicants.

I disagree completely with this idea of bringing back 100 posts because it just discourages players from wanting to become admin or staying or even worse restricts a potentially great admin from becoming admin because the person doesn't like to post on the forums or takes too long for him or her to get 100 posts since they solely focus on server work. With a 10 post limit for applications, the applicant can see what they need to improve on and what they do well through the application voting process. Also, all of the applications get reviewed by the higher-ups and many people trust the higher-ups to make that judgment in whether or not someone should become admin or not.

I am not 100% stuck to 100 posts I can very easily get behind just a higher post count and I understand that all people who only play servers may be discouraged but there should at least be active on forums as they do play a role in being admin. I just feel that the amount of applicants is way too high and have been for a while and that making it higher would hugely affect that issue. at the end of the day, it is an arbitrary number that won't completely affect the system but rather the difference between small, medium and big and maybe it wouldn't have to be huge but not how small it is currently.

• Content Count:  2342

and i am not attempting to insinuate that there is a link between applying for admin and getting it but rather about admin candidates and how the change affected the quality and the amount of admin applicants and how the old system weeded out and helped by having people get well acquainted with the forums and get known by all no server restriction. also when the exact AT meeting happened that directly lead to the change of course I wasn't there, but I did have conversations with people who were higher-ups at the time pushing for the change and the reasoning that they had for it for one example all t's when we were discussing the topic he explained about it and during the community meeting I was there to listen and also give my views on the situation. so yes while I was not there at the highest level and wouldn't know the exact reasoning behind I do know what the main people advocating for it and their reasons behind it also what was being discussed at the community level. To my understanding a big reason why people were advocating for it (including myself) is that we had vastly growing servers and not nearly enough admins at least some wanted the community to be known as one that approves a lot of admins and demotes quickly if there bad rather than really good admins that were never on.

and I do fully understand that IAs and BDs are quality control I have nothing but respect for your decisions on the subject I do not mean to sound like you do not prevent faulty applicants.

but for the marginal amount of admins who get approved do not warrant the slew of applicants.

Many people use admin applications not expecting to get admin, but to get a formal reply and list of things to improve for their next time around. This feedback is honest and crucial for people to take and address so there is a clear comparison of their original admin app used for garnering feedback and their next admin app which may be a more honest attempt at getting admin. There's no harm in having people apply and show their interest... if IA+ felt their time was being wasted I'm sure they would increase the requirements, but as it stands the system is fine.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  2206

I don't see any reason to change it. While there's merit in the reasoning that you would have more quality admins your denying many people the opportunity to prove themselves simply because they would rather be in the server than on the forums. I don't think you need to be active on the forums to carry out the duties of an administrator effectively. Those who want to be able to keep the server fun will come to the forums every so often, browse maybe make a post here and there and be on their way and I see nothing wrong with that as long as they are doing their duty in the server. Those who want to take on a higher role will apply themselves and shine above those who don't. This is just my opinion but it feels like this would be a change just for the sake of making a change.

• Like 1

I don't see any reason to change it. While there's merit in the reasoning that you would have more quality admins your denying many people the opportunity to prove themselves simply because they would rather be in the server than on the forums. I don't think you need to be active on the forums to carry out the duties of an administrator effectively. Those who want to be able to keep the server fun will come to the forums every so often, browse maybe make a post here and there and be on their way and I see nothing wrong with that as long as they are doing their duty in the server. Those who want to take on a higher role will apply themselves and shine above those who don't. This is just my opinion but it feels like this would be a change just for the sake of making a change.

There is a lot of truth to your argument and an idea to fix the issue was bounced around when we discussed lowering it was to make it either x amount of posts OR a certain amount of in-game hours & a low amount of posts and that is one suggestion that could very well fix the issues presented where if someone was more server-side they could easily apply for admin. Whilst someone who played the server less and prefered the forums could also apply for admins. This would create a great medium for everybody in my opinion.

Many people use admin applications not expecting to get admin, but to get a formal reply and list of things to improve for their next time around. This feedback is honest and crucial for people to take and address so there is a clear comparison of their original admin app used for garnering feedback and their next admin app which may be a more honest attempt at getting admin. There's no harm in having people apply and show their interest... if IA+ felt their time was being wasted I'm sure they would increase the requirements, but as it stands the system is fine.

I understand what you mean and you are correct that people use it to get reapplied and get constructive criticism about what they are doing as I have done this. But as I said a little earlier I am going for mainly making it higher but as they get those posts they do have other options until they are able to apply like asking around on servers/ts, identifying what they should change when they play the server, etc. so it isn't the only thing that they can use to get thing to work on to be a better admin candidate.

• Content Count:  1469

I understand what you mean and you are correct that people use it to get reapplied and get constructive criticism about what they are doing as I have done this. But as I said a little earlier I am going for mainly making it higher but as they get those posts they do have other options until they are able to apply like asking around on servers/ts, identifying what they should change when they play the server, etc. so it isn't the only thing that they can use to get thing to work on to be a better admin candidate.

Yes, you can just look around for others opinion but most people wouldn't really give you a straight/well thought out opinion of you. An admin app makes it so more people know that you want/still want the admin role and would look out for you to see what you can improve on or what you do good with. Also admin apps can reach out to a broader audience as opposed to the servers where you ask the question to the server and one or two people answer or go on your friends list to ask and you would also get one or two responses.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread