PDA

View Full Version : Valve and OP Skins

matt
06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/expresstrade/

Pretty interesting move by Valve. Really cracking down on the 3rd party sites now.

For the last two years, Valve has enforced our Steam Subscriber Agreement terms as described in this post.

In March 2018, we applied a seven-day trade cooldown to CS:GO trades, to fight fraud and misuse of Steam Accounts.

On June 6, OPSkins launched ExpressTrade, which uses Valve intellectual property and violates our Steam Subscriber Agreement, and is already being used by other businesses to avoid Valve policies.

Today we messaged OPSkins to cease using Valve intellectual property. We also notified them that we will lock OPSkins Steam Accounts by June 21st, 2018.

Thoughts? Anyone going to quickly sell their skins before June 21st?

Exk
06-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Lucky to have sold everything I needed to already I guess. I figured it'd be a matter of time till valve cracked down on them.

Edit: https://blog.opskins.com/official-statement-regarding-valve-opskins-steam-accounts/
Their response. I don't necessarily agree that it's simply to drive more transactions to the steam community market for more profit. It makes sense that valve would be cracking down on bot accounts used for market transactions. It does kind of suck though since opskins was such a useful platform.

PlasMa
06-08-2018, 10:16 PM
I can't say I'm happy that this is occurring, but hear me out! Withal Valve has been doing, I think its about time for an update. Not a new case or operation but a more substantial "overhaul" type update. Whether it's the new panorama or a new method to the steam market,etc. I'm just keeping the few last hopes high that "Volvo" will do something big!

FunkyFingers
06-09-2018, 01:50 PM
It won’t “kill cs” like a lot of people are saying, but I’d expect to see a heavy hit on the playerbase.

roux
06-09-2018, 02:00 PM
OPskins and CSGOLounge built the pro scene. Ordering them to shut the Express thingy alone would have been fine. Closing the entire CSGO section is a mistake. We'll just go back to traditional paypal scams instead of secured transactions on a 3rd party.

I had 2 knives to sell for like 600usd, I'm a little mad and I hope Valve and OP can reach to a compromise, without me having to lowball my knives for paypal cash.

Gentoo
06-09-2018, 02:37 PM
OPskins and CSGOLounge built the pro scene. Ordering them to shut the Express thingy alone would have been fine. Closing the entire CSGO section is a mistake. We'll just go back to traditional paypal scams instead of secured transactions on a 3rd party.

I had 2 knives to sell for like 600usd, I'm a little mad and I hope Valve and OP can reach to a compromise, without me having to lowball my knives for paypal cash.

Express Trade was a deliberate move by OPskins to go behind the backs of Valve and I feel that it was appropriate for Valve to take the action they did. From personal experience, OPskins does do some pretty shit things and their customer service just says fuck you.

PlasMa
06-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Express Trade was a deliberate move by OPskins to go behind the backs of Valve and I feel that it was appropriate for Valve to take the action they did. From personal experience, OPskins does do some pretty shit things and their customer service just says fuck you.

I totally respect your opinion but any dealings I've had with OPSkins has been positive and their move for ExpressTrade was made in an effort to help flourish the CSGO Market and It's a little annoying how Valve doesn't just shut that down but the whole CSGO Portion of OPSkins. I stated in this thread how the little hope I have left for Valve to do something should come in light of what they have been doing the pass couple of months. Lets Pray!

All Ts
06-09-2018, 03:06 PM
CS:GO is at it's lowest in 4 years, and eventually it's going to go in the same bin that Source went in- only proportionally this time.

Valves anti-cheat is a fucking joke, they have no community interaction, they constantly make changes they can't/won't enforce, they focus on milking every dollar out of their games while trying to stand a moral highground, and they refuse to make any actual meaningful change to their game. You already have to play against plenty of cheaters and to make matters worse their lobotomized ranking system puts you against people who are a thousand times better than the drooling dick-for-brains you get to call teammates. While a lot of people were excited for CS:GO back in the day, it actually hurt community servers by assfucking so many fun maps that you would actually be surprised how much fun you can have redownloading CS:S to play some of the maps they didn't complete fuck-up on their amazing "rehaul" update in 2012 for TF2 and CS:S. Our servers were wrongly blacklisted by an automated system made by Valve to stop people using skin plugins, on the other hand you can advertise these skin plugins in your server title and Valve does not give a single fuck.

I personally don't give a flying fuck about skins, in the not-so retarded days you used to be able to drag & drop a skin into a folder and you would have it. You want your AWP to be a giant dildo spurting rainbows? Great! The fact that Valve has built their entire community up around these retarded re-skins of weapons they sell to children but turns around in a weak attempt to feign innocence is pretty disgusting. They aren't cracking down on gambling or skin trading, they're trying to divert money to the community market so they can have a larger piece of the pie.

The hilarious thing is that when the game takes a large drop they'll do a dumb giant rehaul or make some kind of CS:GO "2" to re-attract the same morons that came off console to play CS:GO & Fortnite. It only surprises me that they haven't done some Battle Royal gamemode but I guess that would require them to have the smallest bit on creativity or drive to actually create something rather than just slowly killing their brand. The game is a massive waste of potential and worse than that the community is full of a competitive circlejerk that won't hold them accountable for anything, the average consumer for these games has truly become braindead.

Gumline
06-10-2018, 04:29 AM
Good on Valve for finally stepping up and enforcing their right to protect their IP, the problem is it is too late. Valve has stood by while a 3rd party with less resources created a better system. A decent chunk of my work revolves around IP, and too often the entities that retain service to protect their IP or do it in house wait too long. Valve let this happen by selectively enforcing their policies, this is just like the skin betting scheme. Valve only stepped in when it looked bad on them, and they are doing it here as well since investors don't appreciate 3rd parties sucking profits from the IPs owner.

Nate S
06-11-2018, 03:11 AM
Valve was getting cucked by gambling websites, but opskins was safe for the time, opskins was a dumbass and pushed there luck with express trade, if they hadn't implemented that they may have been able to be around for much longer.
That's just my opinion, they may have been shut down either way, but it seems like express trade was the catalyst though.

I Eat Dog
06-13-2018, 03:31 PM
I bought a few skins. I'm going to upgrade my ST Bayo Black Laminate to a ST Bayonet Doppler after I get the skins.

Princess
06-16-2018, 01:39 PM
opskins is deaderino

larry
06-20-2018, 02:53 AM
There is so much noise around this event. It's not that big of a deal because new platforms appear regularly, and some of them are no worse than Opskins. I have long started using other platforms, where there is no commission. For example, DMarket (https://dmarket.com/) can give you an opportunity to trade skins quickly and safely. We are all reasonable people and and we can avoid overpaying

matt
06-21-2018, 04:24 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/8ssrc9/a_estimated_87_million_dollars_in_skins_are/?st=JIP1XNQW&sh=c5fd6487

First 15 accounts had like average of ~3000$ in skins that have not been withdrawn

there are 2885 OPSkins bots according to their steam groups

Das 8.7M$~ in skins that are now banned

All Ts
06-21-2018, 04:50 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/8ssrc9/a_estimated_87_million_dollars_in_skins_are/?st=JIP1XNQW&sh=c5fd6487

I'm sure roux will tell us why this is great for CS:GO despite them losing half their playerbase since December cause "muh UI".

delirium
06-21-2018, 05:01 PM
I'm sure roux will tell us why this is great for CS:GO despite them losing half their playerbase since December cause "muh UI".

A little passive aggressive there, bud.

This obviously isn't ideal. I guess we just wait and see now if valve will give us the option to cash out to fiat currency or even crypto in their application in the future, however, I don't know why they would do that without major pressure from their userbase as they're literally using the best option for their interests currently.

Also, the ui changes are the biggest update to this game since launch... It's figuratively a breath of fresh air for a stale ass game.

Gentoo
06-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Valve has been majorly out of touch with their playerbase for a while now, hopefully when they see their numbers plummeting, they'll try to figure out what's going on and how to fix it.

All Ts
06-21-2018, 05:12 PM
I guess we just wait and see now if valve will give us the option to cash out to fiat currency or even crypto in their application in the future.

No you get GameStop credits stop with your "actual currency" nonsense. You buy OUR games, OUR TRADING CARDS, MINE, MINE, MINE. This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdCsypiSPY) is how I imagine Gabe Newells reaction when someone even mentioned some shit like that, till they said "Summer Sale" so he would stop. Now he's got me over here playing some miniclip flashgame for some shitty games like (https://i.gyazo.com/6d1cb181f5c9cc3d3459e751827de6b0.gif).

roux
06-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Never claimed that banning OPskins bots (which are against the TOS in the first place) was a good thing for the game. If we want CS to be "alive" again, we won't be going after skins, we want to make the game better. Raw numbers don't mean shit in statistics, you know that. I personally do not give a fuck about the steam charts numbers for csgo.

ANYWAY, there are thousands of bots and Haci used 15 to make a fucking average. The margin of error is incredibly high in that case. It could be anywhere between 5-20m$ at this point.

A little passive aggressive there, bud.

This obviously isn't ideal. I guess we just wait and see now if valve will give us the option to cash out to fiat currency or even crypto in their application in the future, however, I don't know why they would do that without major pressure from their userbase as they're literally using the best option for their interests currently.

Also, the ui changes are the biggest update to this game since launch... It's figuratively a breath of fresh air for a stale ass game.

Sadly, Valve will probably never give us an option to cash out. If they do, it means that opening cases is now considered as real gambling, since you can spend 2.50 and get out with .30. The best option now is to use other 3rd parties who aren't banned.

I am absolutely not mad that OPskins shut down or that skins are getting pushed aside, it shouldn't have reached this far.

All Ts
06-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Never claimed that banning OPskins bots (which are against the TOS in the first place) was a good thing for the game. If we want CS to be "alive" again, we won't be going after skins, we want to make the game better. Raw numbers don't mean shit in statistics, you know that. I personally do not give a fuck about the steam charts numbers for csgo.

ANYWAY, there are thousands of bots and Haci used 15 to make a fucking average. The margin of error is incredibly high in that case. It could be anywhere between 5-20m$ at this point.

Point was adding a UI to the game aswell as doing this ban isn't good for the game and is pretty much a spit in the face to anyone who actually cares about the shit that matters about a game. Almost every single game I've seen do a UI update ends up having to sit tweaking it for over a year, adding old functionalities, and leaves shit added that is just an eye sore or entirely more difficult to use. I'm not saying that it's not a good thing, but I'm saying that it being one of the first things they look towards big change looks like almost a "hush" change for everything else.

Elemental made a perfect point earlier in stating that they are so stubborn about changing shit that actually matters but still clamp to the shit that doesn't- even making shit much worse. They didn't go, "hey why are hundreds of thousands of people using this site" they went, "hey you have a week or two to get all your skins off". Actually sucked these people dry of their money on the idea that skins are rare, hence valuable then they turned around and were like "yeah, fuck you guys STEAM CREDITS". I hope these people sue the absolute fuck out of OPSkins and Valve for giving creating an environment for kids to lose this ridiculous amount of money by essentially investing & gambling. If you don't think all the people fucked over by those bans, the people who lost money from selling, and people who are sitting with their Steam Money aren't going to be mad you're out of your mind. This is the single worse PR move I think I have ever seen Valve do, and who would of known that's it's just in time for the SUMMER SALE woohoo!

None of the above would I actually take issue with in a big way if Valve didn't completely abandon making actual games to manage their 2 main ones, and then after doing that they manage in it the most hands-off, terrible way humanly possible. To be more specific, here are some things I would personally like to see on CS:GO that would make me feel like they're actually listening to the community or are trying to make their physical game better to play for everyone.

Balancing weapons properly.
Fixing maps, especially skyboxes and general balancing.
Building good PR/community management.
Not breaking our servers every other patch along with Source SDK.
128 tick servers, there is a reason pros play on it. If they have any integrity about their games competitive mode they'll do it- there is clearly a market/playerbase for it.
Clarifying their TOS on knive/skin plugins or increase their actual enforcement.
Making VAC not so easy to bypass in 10 minutes of VB, making it not neccessary for FACEIT, ESEA etc.. to exist. Stop relying on Overwatch as a crutch for an otherwise shitty anti-cheat.
Not only making the server browser prettier with the UI update, but actually increasing the functionality of it. It's actually the same browser from all the other Source Engine games.

The longevity of CS:GO is them concentrating on good connection with community servers while at the same time keeping the main-game cheater free and changes that aren't just interesting but that actually make the game more fun. There are many reasons why Fortnite is riding a high right now but they have mastered making changes that actually make the game more fun rather than just needless interesting shit. As someone who watched them hurt CS:S a lot with stupid updates/rehauls among the rise of skins I have a lot of apathy towards Valve as a company and believe the fact they're not considered an equal with EA in terms of being scum is insane. Try explaining the skin system to anyone who doesn't understand video games and they will tell you that it is gambling, and Valve 100% meant for it to be that way and benefited off of it A LOT. The fact that they have to double dip by doing this to OPSkins, and look to add a UI like this as a big change when their game is actually tanking shows you how much self-awareness they really have about their game. It's now about how much you care about their numbers as much as it's about why they react the way they do, and why after all of this time the first meaningful thing they do is something that effects functionality the least.