PDA

View Full Version : VACnet: cheaters vs deep learning

roux
03-31-2018, 08:36 PM
Found an interesting conference about VACnet, Valve's new deep learning anti-cheat system that boosts Overwatch's performance.

Basically, Valve launched in 2017 a deep learning system implemented in Overwatch. Using data and matches as teachers, the system now sends demos to the Overwatch jurors, helping massively against cheaters in csgo. The thing is, the system learns by itself with convictions of previous players, automatically getting better at spotting cheaters, increasing the number of convicted cheaters in Overwatch. Valve says that the machine can effectively get an accuracy of more than 95%, which is enormous. It is NOT a part of VAC itself or the trust system, meaning you still need Overwatch with players for the bans to take place. Since they launched VACnet in 2017, the number of cheaters convicted in Overwatch has drastically increased, there are now more convicted players than dismissed cases in Overwatch, meaning that the system effectively sends cheater demos to players. The system has also been implemented in Wingman and is busting a lot of cheaters.

I found it quite intereting since this is one of the first games to actually implement such a system. In years, we could nearly destroy public cheating. If you have an hour to spare, listen to John McDonald'd conference he gave last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhK8lUfIlc&feature=youtu.be

There's an article about it as well, if you don't have an hour: https://www.pcgamer.com/vacnet-csgo/

John also specified at the beginning of the conference how cheating can be a problem. Statistically speaking, with a 7% cheater player base, 1/2 of your games will have a cheater in them, while with a 2% cheating base, you'd play 1/5 games with a cheater. I'm pretty happy Valve has made this public, nobody can say that "Valve doesn't do anything against cheaters!" What do you guys think about that?

FLuiD
04-02-2018, 01:28 AM
This is actually really awesome and I've personally noticed this within the last week. I saw a discussion on reddit/youtube where someone did 100 overwatch cases and reported the number of times the person was a cheater, griefer, etc. The number of cheaters was some ridiculous number and the reasoning was portrayed as if CS:GO is just completely filled with cheaters (which I'm not ruling out for clarification) and it's a major problem valve is doing nothing about. Since then I have been doing a few overwatch cases a day to do my part and noticed they have pretty much all been cheaters, but it really awesome once you realize overwatch has actually been improved and that's the reason why you're seeing so many

Nate S
04-04-2018, 10:22 PM
This is actually really awesome and I've personally noticed this within the last week. I saw a discussion on reddit/youtube where someone did 100 overwatch cases and reported the number of times the person was a cheater, griefer, etc. The number of cheaters was some ridiculous number and the reasoning was portrayed as if CS:GO is just completely filled with cheaters (which I'm not ruling out for clarification) and it's a major problem valve is doing nothing about. Since then I have been doing a few overwatch cases a day to do my part and noticed they have pretty much all been cheaters, but it really awesome once you realize overwatch has actually been improved and that's the reason why you're seeing so many

And to think how many cheaters are smart enough to not aim on people through walls or spinbot so they don't get overwatched, I understand the desire to rank up, but I don't find any fun in using hacks to get there.
The saddest part is, this game draws in cheaters from other games, as I watched a couple videos made by cheaters explaining why they cheated, and it's because they know csgo has a very shitty anti-cheat, and only costs 15 dollars, 7 if you know your way around cheating forums.

roux
04-04-2018, 10:41 PM
And to think how many cheaters are smart enough to not aim on people through walls or spinbot so they don't get vacced, I understand the desire to rank up, but I don't find any fun in using hacks to get there.
The saddest part is, this game draws in cheaters from other games, as I watched a couple videos made by cheaters explaining why they cheated, and it's because they know csgo has a very shitty anti-cheat, and only costs 15 dollars, 7 if you know your way around cheating forums.

Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) does not make the difference between ragehack and subtle hacks, it doesn't view demos but inspects your client/steam for anomalies (I don't know exactly how VAC works, but that's generally how ACs work.)

Having done a good amount of OW myself, you can tell when people wallhack. You do not need aimlock/trigger/aimbot to get spotted either. With x-rays on, you can see where people are and The Suspect preaiming a little too much, being a little too lucky with his prefires. It's easier said than done, but when you have the information, you can't play ignoring it. Take TTT as an example. If someone ghosts you perfectly (and you know its 100% true), you just can't pretend you don't know anything without looking like you know.

Overwatch is becoming a very strong system. VAC may be "shitty", it's still a very powerful non-intrusive anti-cheat. Overwatch simply keeps growing by itself. While VAC scrapes shitters with free cheats, OW just destroys people with their own gameplay.

roux
04-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Imagine if this thread had been about cheating in csgo

edit: dom cleaned the thread

Nate S
04-13-2018, 05:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRgW54EWwA
Just wanted to drop this here for anyone wanting a bit shorter video by none other than 3kilksphillip!