PDA

View Full Version : New comp player

Sheriff Narwhal
10-14-2016, 03:54 PM
looking for any valuable tips you might have looking to get better and now with 7 wins under my belt i really wanna get good and rank up etc, anthing is greatly appreciated

jfilthy
10-14-2016, 03:56 PM
just dont solo que atleast have 2 friends with you and you'll do just good.

AznRule
10-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Play maps you know well.
Learn crosshair placement
Communicate with your teammates. (When to buy or save and callouts)

roux
10-14-2016, 04:10 PM
I can recommend having friends with you, but it's optional. I've played the great majority of my games solo and I still managed to get up there.

Play maps you know well.
Learn crosshair placement
Communicate with your teammates. (When to buy or save and callouts)

Great advices.

I'm a gamesens guy. I'm probably out-aimed by the average LE-LEM player and that's okay. I like when I have teammates with brains. Learn the map's callouts, its layout, the time required to go there to there (approx) the chokepoints, where to plant, how to play with a man advantage, how to deal with a not-so-good economy. Don't do like I did, go practice on deathmatch to get a minimum of aiming skill. Practice the use of nades, but don't learn smokes and all, just make sure you can use them ( and not throw your nades/mollies to high and they bust mid-air -.-)

MM is all about common sense. If you can call shit good, play non-toxic and be helpful to your team, your fine! Don't let the scoreboard discourage you, we all have bad days.

Good luck on your journey!

All Ts
10-14-2016, 04:38 PM
This is the best legitimate advice you'll get on this thread.

Don't play CSGO competitive cause it will make you into a raging pile of cancer and ruin your fun.

If you do decide to play.. though

Pop Flash, Good Smoke/Molly spots make a massive difference to your gameplay and skill level.

Dominic
10-14-2016, 04:41 PM
If you get a toxic team when you solo queue you're pretty much fucked, would definitely recommend getting a queue of friends.

Make callouts, contribute to the team, and just don't be a complete let down your team. That's not saying you need to be good and frag, but at least doing stuff for your team makes it better.

Cam
10-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Just practice. I recommend never going into a comp game your first game on, play casual or deathmatch to warm yourself back up. If not, you might do bad your first game back on and lose confidence in another game. Learn maps, play maps you know. And the most important key, communication. Like others have said, play with a group of friends or if you must go solo, hopefully you'll get a good team that uses call outs and communicates.

WavY
10-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Spam militia become militia global ez

But really actually learn smokes and become good at a specific role such as Awper or Entry for T. And for CT just be smart with rotates and try to stay calm. Also, if you want progress faster than the average person I would recommend aim maps but I've personally never used one. Good luck with comp and I pray you don't get the toxic side of comp mm!

WilliamAshe
10-14-2016, 05:58 PM

Thats a lie, i soloqueued to nova 2

Edit: Albeit it took me 200+ wins. :larry:

Exk
10-14-2016, 07:11 PM
There's numerous things that contribute to being good at comp, but the most basic is aim. Deathmatching (FFA [Freeforall] servers in community or just valve DM) is a huge factor. There's a lot of aim practices in the game workshop too (aim_botz, recoilmaster, crashz crosshair generator). Finding a good crosshair and sensitivity helps tremendously as well. Higher sens grants better flicks and transfers, lower sense has steadier shots. I play personally at 400 DPI (mouse) and 2.2 sens (ingame) with raw input on. You can watch pro games to get a sense of how economy works and how the best players in this game play together. Of course, you can't expect that from queueing MM but it will help you with game sense. After developing a sufficient shot, things to work on would be:
Game sense (Where people are coming from, when theyre coming, when to push as a CT, when to push smokes as T, playing with your team or when to lurk, deducing the remaining Ts based on what map control your team has, WHEN TO STAY ALIVE)
Movement (jumping well, not wasting steps, not running all the time, not getting clipped on objects, knowing how to strafe/counterstrafe, how/when to peek wide/narrow, jiggle peeking, and so on)
Nade useage (popflash, flashing for teammates [LUL], basic smokes, how to work with smokes [through, around, sometimes even hiding in], nades, molotovs for clearing spots.)
Economy control (Little bit easier to learn but when to force (buy) or eco (save) or halfbuy. Also how the economy of the enemy teams doing so you know whether to buy up fully (AK-47/M4/AWP) or crapbuy (UMP, MP9, MP7, Mac-10).)

I've spent a lot of time on aim and recoil control, I watch a lot of pro league, and I practice A LOT. I'm still pretty bad but i'm slowly climbing.
Get past the toxic, and this game is great. It's a lot of fun, but its a grind. I've had a long history in FPS, but switching to CSGO has probably given me the most satisfying time when I play competitively. Hopefully this wall of text contributes something.

smiley :]
10-14-2016, 08:19 PM
play with mg1s or higher and have them carry you :]

Clamor
10-14-2016, 08:28 PM
play with mg1s or higher and have them carry you :]

I've tried that. They just get mad at me for being bad

Dominic
10-14-2016, 09:52 PM
I've tried that. They just get mad at me for being bad
smiley is good at making people carry her because she's a girl

Clamor
10-14-2016, 09:55 PM
smiley is good at making people carry her because she's a girl

Carry me Dom. I'm a hot single girl in your area. ;)

Maanshaan
10-15-2016, 01:43 AM
Buy hacks like rain has

Sheriff Narwhal
10-16-2016, 10:31 AM
was gonna quote some people to thank them but way more people replied then I had expected, thanks for all the advice I'm taking it all into account and I do have 4-5 people I play with pretty regularly in comp so good to know I was going in the right direction with that at least. Thanks again to everyone who posted with advice it really helps and I'm more motivated now than before because of all the responses this has garnered, once again thanks to everyone!

Luke
10-16-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm not really gonna make a long post in this thread because I think you've gotten enough advice from a lot of people, though I won't say I agree with all of it :x

A lot of people in this thread are saying to premade and that honestly really is a good idea. I solo'd to supreme and stayed there for a year (until I stopped playing) so I would definitely say that I (and others) have a good standpoint on this. It would be much better for you to get a few mates together and play for fun, but to win. When you're starting out and climbing the ranks, improving, you really just wanna make sure that you're having fun whilst improving. The amount that confidence and enjoyment has in terms of an effect on cs is huge compared to how much people may think. You really don't want to just leave a game to chance where you could get four toxic guys that are just there to ruin your enjoyment.

I'm not gonna write a load about improving and doing all the right things in game, just enjoy yourself :p

Rhyzhe
10-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Learn map smokes and flashes! that shit helped me out a lot