? servers

? players online

The Impossible Burger

• Content Count:  1534

Not sure if anyone here is vegetarian / an environmentalist but it seems science has finally done it. A company has managed to make a vegetable based meat substitute that looks / smells / tastes like real meat. If their claims are to be believed this could revolutionize the food industry.

The article below goes into depth on how they created simulated blood and meat textures to complete the illusion:

https://psmag.com/the-biography-of-a-plant-based-burger-31acbecb0dcc

I think in 20-30 years you may not be able to find "real" meat at the grocery store...

http://www.impossiblefoods.com/

• Content Count:  202

Now, will it be cheaper to mass produce this "fake" meat then continue to farm animals the way we do? Because if not then this process won't catch on.

• Content Count:  965

Now, will it be cheaper to mass produce this "fake" meat then continue to farm animals the way we do? Because if not then this process won't catch on.

Indeed it would be harder because as technology ages so does financial issues, meaning would they actually be able to mass produce this meat in the first place. I mean look at all the work that goes into this. So many fancy machines and gizmos that cost tons of money already. Also think of health issues, it's artificial meaning it probably is not near as healthy as the meat from animals. And how can there be a meat for vegetarians if vegetarians don't even want to eat anything that tastes like meat. It would be stupid to make an artificial burger that tastes like a burger. It would be just as pointless to make a burger that tastes like salad because that's what vegetarians would eat in the first place! Meaning the whole thing is probably just a big waste of money. (Am I overthinking this?)

• Content Count:  1534

Indeed it would be harder because as technology ages so does financial issues, meaning would they actually be able to mass produce this meat in the first place. I mean look at all the work that goes into this. So many fancy machines and gizmos that cost tons of money already. Also think of health issues, it's artificial meaning it probably is not near as healthy as the meat from animals. And how can there be a meat for vegetarians if vegetarians don't even want to eat anything that tastes like meat. It would be stupid to make an artificial burger that tastes like a burger. It would be just as pointless to make a burger that tastes like salad because that's what vegetarians would eat in the first place! Meaning the whole thing is probably just a big waste of money. (Am I overthinking this?)

Unless they miscalculated it should be much cheaper this way and less impactful on the environment (which is one reason to be a vegetarian)

When you see meat on the store shelf you don't see what went into putting it there. You need to clear massive amounts of land for the Cows / Pigs, use massive amounts of water for them to drink (and food) then wait a few years for them to grow. All the while they are putting additional methane into the air and causing Climate Change.

In terms of health, I can't speculate on if some of the processes they use cause harm. I can say that artificial meat in general should be much safer because there is no contamination (from the slaughter) so technically you can eat it raw.

Also this particular product appears to be aimed at people who wish to turn vegetarian or are already vegetarian but still like the taste of meat.

Hope I answered your questions :)

• Content Count:  965

Unless they miscalculated it should be much cheaper this way and less impactful on the environment (which is one reason to be a vegetarian)

When you see meat on the store shelf you don't see what went into putting it there. You need to clear massive amounts of land for the Cows / Pigs, use massive amounts of water for them to drink (and food) then wait a few years for them to grow. All the while they are putting additional methane into the air and causing Climate Change.

In terms of health, I can't speculate on if some of the processes they use cause harm. I can say that artificial meat in general should be much safer because there is no contamination (from the slaughter) so technically you can eat it raw.

Also this particular product appears to be aimed at people who wish to turn vegetarian or are already vegetarian but still like the taste of meat.

Hope I answered your questions :)

Makes sense, I mean I forgot to consider how much money goes into butchering the meat, processing the meat, and how much it costs to rent land just for the meat.

In terms of health however things change. If this proves to be successful other companies will try, and in order to make things faster and not copied from other companies they will make little changes. Over the years these changes can destroy the purpose of the idea in the first place. If they genetically modify it

to be easier to mass produce (probably cheaper) it could change the properties of the burger/meat and make it much less healthy for you.

As for everything else, it makes sense and this could revolutionize health and production for companies around the world! Meaning it would cost much less, and less people would have to starve. (Of course that could be handled easily if we just gave them food and not be total assholes and hog it.) However this brings another problem. Butchers/farmers being out of a job. If we start to only use this "new" way of making meat, there is no way for farmers to sell meat to a butcher, or a butcher to people that want their meat. This would cause a slight economic collapse for at least 1,000,000+ people.

Reply to Thread