? servers

? players online

Put cksurf back

• Content Count:  1070

Hello all,

I am writing here today to suggest the return of the cksurf plugin timer. Since the new one was added the population has abruptly dropped by about 50%, this may be a combination between people just playing it less over time, people losing their records they had spent the past two weeks getting, or that the missing features compared to cksurf has made it less enjoyable for people. The drop in population is even more troubling because it dropped even though the new timer was pushed before a weekend where server population are usually the highest.

I played some over the past few days and cksurf was just better, and unless there is a significant reason that is was taken off I think it should be put back. The new timer doesn't have a BOT for the world record times, that was a very nice feature as it allowed the noobs like me to visually see how to beat the maps on areas that we were stuck on. The plugin in has restricted some telehopping through stages where it used to be the norm, I don't much about this but I saw individuals complaining about it when I was playing (i.e. telehopping through banana to cherry on surf_fruits). Another issue I had was it wasn't letting me teleport to the bonus on surf_fruits after typing !b or !bonus. You were also able to see other player's times on the scoreboard as their score would be their current time in seconds, which was a nice feature to have. It is now very difficult to see your rank compared to others now, with cksurf it would pop up when you complete the map as well as appear at the bottom of your screen at all times. It was fun to try to beat other individuals' times and see if you improved after every run, without needing to type !top and scrolling to find your name. The biggest hindrance I think is the deletion of everyone's records so shortly after the server had come out. Resetting the records the new individuals to SG had achieved is a huge deterrent to return to play. People had spent a lot of time getting their scores and to delete them in one fell swoop is extremely disheartening and off-putting. I never had any issues with cksurf and it doesn't make sense to change from a superior timer just for a sake of it. You said there are things you don't like about cksurf, what are those things and why are they so bad.

MAKE SURF GREAT AGAIN,

Eskomo

• Like 2
Edited by Eskomo

• Content Count:  1592

All i know is that it's unoptimized and has some features that are either missing,useless or poorly executed. However, the plugin and it's components can be modified to fix those issues if anyone takes up on that job.

• Content Count:  1396

First I'm going to start by saying we are not going to switch back to ckSurf and now to address random points in your post in no particular order.

The biggest hindrance I think is the deletion of everyone's records so shortly after the server had come out. Resetting the records the new individuals to SG had achieved is a huge deterrent to return to play.

While yes resetting the records shortly after the server came out is not a good thing but imagine if this happened 1 or 2 months later then even more people would be upset its better to do it now while the server is new and not lots of records.

the missing features compared to cksurf has made it less enjoyable for people.

There is a reason I made a feature request thread here. While yes if you make a pointless/shit post in there I will delete it but if you have an actual feature or improvement that you think would be good for the timer go post it there.

You were also able to see other player's times on the scoreboard as their score would be their current time in seconds, which was a nice feature to have.

Same as what I said above, but I'll also tell you why this is a bad feature. Having the scoreboard constantly update showing your time requires a timer that updates every seconds which requires more resources then just not having a pretty pointless feature.

Another issue I had was it wasn't letting me teleport to the bonus on surf_fruits after typing !b or !bonus.

I wont argue with that the bonuses are bugged and I am working on fixing them.

The new timer doesn't have a BOT for the world record times, that was a very nice feature as it allowed the noobs like me to visually see how to beat the maps on areas that we were stuck on.

This is already being made and should be done within hopefully the next few days no promises though!

If their are any other questions about why I wont be switching back to ckSurf just responded to this thread again

• Like 5

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.