? servers

? players online

How do you feel about Vista?

• Content Count:  28

I beta tested, and was an early adopter, but a month after release I switched back to XP.

SP1 has been out for a month or so now and apparently MS has fixed some of its flaws. What do you all think?

(I also own and run a MacBook Pro with BootCamp for XP on it and it is my development PC, however I obviously use my desktop for all my gaming.)

KrazyK

• Content Count:  6559

I used Vista on my friend's new PC and it just felt too bloated and a little slow and somewhat more convoluted to access stuff compared to XP.

The only thing I want that Vista has is DirectX10.

I installed XP on my new PC that I put together last month. Almost went with Vista, but I'm glad I stuck with XP. Especially considering the 3GB ram limit on 32 bit systems, and the fact that Vista takes about a gig to run on its own. With XP it only uses 300-400 mb leaving a lot more of my ram free for other stuff than Vista would.

• Content Count:  3440

I just built a new machine.. Put Vista Ultimate on it.. and after SP1 it's not that bad.. It detects and uses the full 4GB RAM I have installed (pre sp1 only showed 3GB). Sure I disabled Aero and all the damn nag screens.. but so far nothing to complain about.

• Content Count:  4354

I just built a new machine.. Put Vista Ultimate on it.. and after SP1 it's not that bad.. It detects and uses the full 4GB RAM I have installed (pre sp1 only showed 3GB). Sure I disabled Aero and all the damn nag screens.. but so far nothing to complain about.

I have done the same things you listed. I dont mind Vista at all. I am enjoying it.

• Content Count:  602

I like Vista. Its still a bit buggy, but SP1 made all my shit work fine. I love the security features and look and feel of the system. Never upgrade though, I bought my computer to run the arguably bloated OS, so even though Vista eats up memory i got plenty to spare on graphics intensive games.

• Content Count:  1730

Well, I've had vista for couple months now.. Have to admit it's quite stable and all that but every time I quit a STEAM / Source based game, it says it has crashed for some ridiculous reasons..

Though, just look up tweak guides to disable most of the stupid resource hogging processes - I got "search indexer" and the "SuperFetch", or what ever, off.. After disabling those, few reboots alter.. Everything was running faster than the things on - also ram usage dropped whole lot for that

In the end I've started to be OK with vista but I'd still rather be using XP..

• Content Count:  28

So it's seeming to be the concensus is that SP1 made Vista a completely different monster.... a monster that is no longer inefficient and buggy. This is good to hear.

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate sitting here next to my desktop, and it's about time for a format and rebuild, so I'm thinking I may make the leap. Now I just need to buy some more ram, and find a nice shiny new video card. :)

KrazyK

Reply to Thread