? servers

? players online

Sourcemod Ban System.

• Content Count:  3791

Why aren't we running a sourcemod ban system? It's so much easier to add others games, like Gmod, TF2, insurgency... Also, the ban management is better, the ui is a hell of a lot better and also there are more commands...

I think it would be good to change over from mani to SM, you can so a lot more.

Sourcemod sucks ass ingame when browsing trough your admin menu.

I never really use any admin menus, commands are easier. Nobody knows how to use it though :(

• Content Count:  2596

I never really use any admin menus, commands are easier. Nobody knows how to use it though :(

You cant use ma_ban in our servers, so you should be very concerened about the navagability of the menu's.

You cant use ma_ban to prevent ma_ban #all

• Content Count:  4263

From personal experience, using the ban management system we have currently is simple and easy for the AOs to check up on ban records for steamIDs (its not perfect, there are a few bugs, such as all bans being listed as from the admin who did the most recent ban, and comments not carrying over between bans), but its user-friendly. I don't think the ban management would work with sourcebans, which would be a lot of editing/changing (correct me if this is wrong)

From personal experience, using the ban management system we have currently is simple and easy for the AOs to check up on ban records for steamIDs (its not perfect, there are a few bugs, such as all bans being listed as from the admin who did the most recent ban, and comments not carrying over between bans), but its user-friendly. I don't think the ban management would work with sourcebans, which would be a lot of editing/changing (correct me if this is wrong)

From experience editing bans is just as easy as the one we have now, just search the steam id, click the player and increase/decrease the time.

You cant use ma_ban in our servers, so you should be very concerened about the navagability of the menu's.

You cant use ma_ban to prevent ma_ban #all

The ban system is just as easy, just cancel the ban @all command (SM) then just change the menu, shouldn't be to hard.

• Content Count:  6741

navagability

Is that even a word?

Pretty much correct. I know that we use Mani/GBans because it globally bans a player across how ever many servers you want. Whereas SMBans does not have this feature meaning if we get a player complaint, the AO's need to add each ban to each server manually (long tingz).

Obviously Mani/GB has a lot of flaws/bugs. Jager/BD's/+ are working on this I think.

• Content Count:  177

Is that even a word?

Pretty much correct. I know that we use Mani/GBans because it globally bans a player across how ever many servers you want. Whereas SMBans does not have this feature meaning if we get a player complaint, the AO's need to add each ban to each server manually (long tingz).

Obviously Mani/GB has a lot of flaws/bugs. Jager/BD's/+ are working on this I think.

Mani has the capibilities that types of admin like EST or SM admin doesnt have, you can alias commands and ban users that arnet in the server or offline, last time i had a server, EST or SM diddnt do that for me. You can usaly stop the exploits through third party anti-cheat systems.

• Content Count:  1300

globalbans supports Sourcemod, as well as mani, even at the same time if you wish to define specific roles, however we have an active sourcebans site that I am testing and we announced we were... at least 2 months ago.

sourcebans = globalbans in the way it works and how it treats servers etc, there is no difference except that if i ban you in a game a use sm_ban, not a separate menu

that being said SM gives us (as in the community) flexibility in areas we need atm and mani doesnt yet. yes sourcemod/ban supports newer games, but the biggest reasons for swapping is that the maker of globalbans is no longer around, a french guy has picked up where soynuts left off, but the structure of Eventscripts itself is harder to modify to work within the newer valve engines, and since GB relies on ES, you can see the issue.

Sourcebans and its various dependencies are all supported by allied modders, they are fairly prompt in fixing issues, and since their system, metamod,(metamod does their conversion from PAWN scripting to C++/assembly in the backend) is updated all the time as new games come out, it means we are less likely to be left fixing our own plugins.

also ther are many newer automation systems designed to mesh into sourcemod and sourcebans to enable faster response time to supporters who donate, and admins etc.

lastly while the !gtfo menu was nice as it separated banning from admin, mani/gbans doesnt define immunities nor ban unban rights the way SM does. so instead of expecting admins to not abuse other admins, setting immunity does it for us

I've used beetles admin, mani, SM and a host of others in my time from 1.4 to now. that being said none is "better" then the others, but for what the community needs now, SM is fitting better, with a smaller footprint on server resources.

yes ther are some security issues within SM but that is why I am testing it and we arent just rolling it out.

since GBans supports SM, I will likely import the ban list into both sites while we settle the kinks over the summer etc, so if necessary we can simply swap back. without weeks of work.

Reply to Thread