? servers

? players online

New PC Or Upgrade?

• Content Count:  27

Well I honestly do not know anything about building a pc, but I want a new pc not an overly priced one that cant do shit just like mine. So here's my question should I just upgrade my pc(only what I really should) or just buy a new one and find someone to build it?

Oh and here are some of my specs (My PC's about 2-3 years old)

Inel Pent D 2.80 GHz

2 GB ram

Windows XP SP3

nVidia 7300 LE 512 MB

Asus PSLP LE Mother Board

RealTek Sound Card

• Content Count:  4960

I'd say keep Windows XP, upgrade your CPU to a dual core model (or quad core if you have the money), get another GB of ram (or two because in XP it can actually recognize 4 GB unlike Vista, anything under Ultimate can only recognize 3.5BG), a new graphics card in the Nvidia 8 series or 9 series (or ATI's 4000 series because it's catching up with Nvidia)

Oh yeah and get a new Mother Board, I'd recommend one from Intel.

EDIT: Seeing the deals from PC companies I actually suggest getting a pre-built PC. For under 1k you can get a great PC online. But if you want XP you're going to have to fork up another 40 bucks.

Edited by Coffee Crisp

• Content Count:  1230

I'm holding onto this one until the next generation comes out.

I'd want to get a better graphics card. 7 series is fine, but for a lot of new games etc. I'd want at least a 7600. If possible, get an 8 series.

7 series and even 8 series should be quite cheap at the moment.

What do you define as the next generation? Core i7 and socket 1366 motherboards are already out.

A 7600 would cost him as much if not more than an 8600. It's not always cheaper to go with older tech.

I'd say keep Windows XP, upgrade your CPU to a dual core model (or quad core if you have the money), get another GB of ram (or two because in XP it can actually recognize 4 GB unlike Vista, anything under Ultimate can only recognize 3.5BG), a new graphics card in the Nvidia 8 series or 9 series (or ATI's 4000 series because it's catching up with Nvidia)

Oh yeah and get a new Mother Board, I'd recommend one from Intel.

Please, don't ever post advice in this section again.

RAM isn't Vista or XP limited. It's limited by the 32bit Operating System. As long as you have a 64bit OS you can fully utilize your RAM. Most XP users are the ones that are limited. Vista 64bit is a fully capable/usable OS. Can't say the same for XP 64bit.

ATI caught up to NVIDIA a while ago. Preference and pricing is really the only difference between most of the cards by either manufacturer.

Intel boards are solid performers, but they've always been weak in the OC department.

Envy, buying new or upgrading really depends on your budget. You can build a solid dual core system for great prices nowadays, so if you need help feel free to ask.

• Content Count:  27

Zero I would really appreciate if you could help me.

I'm willing to spend $500-$700 but I dont get the cash probably until mid March since I only have 200 right now, and have no problem waiting 'till then. I'm not that good with computer hardware, where to get them, or whats better than which, so I would like your help since no one I know personally is good with computers. So, what would be best for me if I have a budget of $500-$700?

• Content Count:  678

Buy a new one.

You can use your old one for storage maybe?

It is always good to have a back-up PC

Also having both XP and Vista will make you more knowledgeable in both!

I'm going to buy a new PC when I can, and run XP on it. This one is Vista you see!

• Content Count:  4960

Please, don't ever post advice in this section again.

RAM isn't Vista or XP limited. It's limited by the 32bit Operating System. As long as you have a 64bit OS you can fully utilize your RAM. Most XP users are the ones that are limited. Vista 64bit is a fully capable/usable OS. Can't say the same for XP 64bit.

ATI caught up to NVIDIA a while ago. Preference and pricing is really the only difference between most of the cards by either manufacturer.

Intel boards are solid performers, but they've always been weak in the OC department.

Envy, buying new or upgrading really depends on your budget. You can build a solid dual core system for great prices nowadays, so if you need help feel free to ask.

1. Meanie :happy:

2. That's exactly what I meant, I just didn't explain it more detailed like you did.

3. Ok I don't have an excuse there. I wasn't up to par for the HD 4870 X2 yet lol.

4. I don't think an average user would touch the clock settings of his computer let alone bios. Seeing Envy needed help I recommended Intel because he seems like an average user.

Bottom line: Envy take Zero's advice because he whoops my ass when it comes to computer tech.

Edited by Coffee Crisp

• Content Count:  514

First of all, don't get Vista, because it's bollox. It limits you to 3.5GB Ram.

You need a P45 mobo so you can have 16GB (trust me, this is essential for gaming).

If you don't want a P45 get a Skulltrail and 2 Xeons (Clock speed doesn't matter as since you have two CPU's, you square it).

ATi are full of crap, for ultimate bang-for-buck you need 3 GTX 280's.

Get a HD-DVD drive for ultimate future-proofing and make sure you buy a non-brand power supply, as they are not at all important.

Actually on second thought, scratch that and get a MacBook Pro.

:usa2:

• Content Count:  6741

First of all, don't get Vista, because it's bollox. It limits you to 3.5GB Ram.

:usa2:

Zero0001 already said it is not Vista that limits you to 3.5GB of RAM it is the 32x operating system, if your operating system is Vista 64x then you can have more.

Reply to Thread