? servers

? players online

Girl on my schools football team.

• Content Count:  1980

I know the article is kinda old but I decided to post it anyway. Im on it as well but only as WR or sometimes if lucky, TE.

When Irene Gjoka moved to New York from Canada a year ago, she brought with her an unusual desire: to play high school football in America.

Gym teachers at Long Island City High School told the 5-foot-tall, 105-pound Gjoka she would be better off choosing a sport that didn't involve bone-crushing tackles by 250-pound behemoths.

Gjoka kept dreaming.

After enduring three weeks of brutal practices this fall, the diminutive girl with the indomitable spirit will suit up for her first game Sunday.

GALLERY: GJOKA CHASES GRIDIRON DREAMS

"I don't think anybody actually believed I was gonna do it until I actually did it," Gjoka, 17, said. "I wasn't scared because I like challenges."

Gjoka's unlikely foray into football has marked the first time she's played an organized sport.

Raised by a hyper-protective father, Gjoka wasn't allowed to join athletic teams as a young girl in Canada.

With long brown hair, pastel pink nails and carefully applied eyeliner, she seemed an especially longshot candidate for a spot on the Bulldogs squad.

Coach Stephen Agresti figured she'd go away after she inquired about the team last month.

"Once or twice a year, a girl will come out and say she wants to play football, and pretty much that's it," Agresti said.

Gjoka persisted.

State rules kept her from trying out for the squad right away. She first had to get permission from a panel that consisted of two doctors, a gym teacher and the school's athletic director.

In her first few practices, the slender and speedy Gjoka impressed Agresti with her conditioning and grit.

He didn't expect her to survive tackling drills.

"She came back the next day and was ready to go for more," Agresti said. "I thought she was either really dedicated or really crazy. I think it's a little of both."

Bruised but undaunted, Gjoka made it through the 16 practices needed to earn the right to dress for the 4-0 Bulldogs' game Sunday against Brooklyn's Performing Arts and Technology High School.

"I don't care about bruises or anything like that," Gjoka said as she revealed a red and purple wound that extends from her forearm to her shoulder. "Pain's not an issue."

Fewer than six girls have ever played for their high school football team, PSAL Commissioner Alan Arbuse said.

"I'm going to limit her to situations where she can play and not get clobbered," Agresti said, noting that Gjoka will probably line up on special teams. She has practiced blocking and tackling on special teams and running in the backfield.

Gjoka's teammates said they're looking forward to protecting her from opposing players who vow to "put that little girl on her a--."

"Whoever says that, I'm probably gonna put him on his a--," said Samuel Deutsch, a cornerback. "Gotta look out for our little sister."

Gjoka is hoping other girls will follow in her footsteps.

"Even if I end up breaking something, I just want to do it to prove to myself I can and to encourage other girls who are bigger than me and who can do a better job than me to go and do it," Gjoka said.[/Quote]

Heres her: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/galleries/queens_girl_tackles_football_dreams/queens_girl_tackles_football_dreams.html

Edited by Harpr33t
words

• Content Count:  6084

but do you see how this girl looks like, if i tackled her.....

I couldn't care less, the same goes for anything, even military, police, and firefighting. If they can serve up to the standards currently in practice then I see no reason to bar them from activities. And if she wants to go through with it fine, maybe she'll have second thoughts when 250 lb. Butch broadsides her so hard he breaks her hymen.

• Content Count:  2936

I think women need to keep to women activities. I played def. end, linebacker on JV and V, and we had girls from ROTC periodically try out, each year during two-a-day practice, they'd get knocked on their ass and leave.

Women should take up more female activities, like kitchen maintenance.

Reply to Thread