? servers

? players online

I Kissed A Girl!

• Content Count:  1158

Okay guys, I want your opinion about Kate Perry, is she a queer or is this lyric, I Kissed A Girl, a lyric with huge heteronormativity characteristics?

On one side she is reproducing the heteronormative hegemony by having her point of view at her heterosexuality, and hopes that her boyfriend can accept her flirt with homosexuality. Her associations with the female sex is typical for the heteronormativity: Cherry chapstick, cherry, chocolate, soft etcetera. She doesn't mention anything about women working as bricklayer, being sweaty or anything else which can destroy the usual conception of the female sexuality.

On the other side she is defining her sexuality as floating. She is neither an obvious queer nor heterosexual, and she acknowledges that she is challenging some structures. Her focus is her lust, and without a shame, she express that she wants both men and women. She refuses to be defined, and is rejecting the binary.

Discuss!

• Content Count:  6712

And I liked it!

:partydance:

Really though she has a boyfriend but he is kissing girls.......probably not biosexual but I dunno............:confused1: Whatever floats her boat.

• Content Count:  1802

This kind of thing just sells to little boys. Like youtubes most watched video Arvil Lavigne - girlfriend, and that one song that was played everywhere while ago at least here, that "i wanna have your babies" And that singer even said that it sells just don't remember the name. Just for money!

• Content Count:  2445

It just a song. Why does it matter?

And she is a PK and just rebelling. If you don't know what a PK is just google it. Any one that can tell me what PK is can have a cookie.

Preacher/Pastor's kid?

I'll pass on the cookie.

• Content Count:  2186

I dislike the lyrics, really - I think they are very "un-interesting" .. But the music is all right .. The worst thing about modern pop is that its the performer (and sometimes the lyrics) that sells - never is it the music of a song..

Thumbs down to everything that is defined as mainstream these days ... I dont get how it is "so great"!! Get some real music, ffs!

• Content Count:  1158

I would say heteronormative as well. In her text universe, she is reproducing patriarchal stereotypes and suppression mechanisms with a veneer rebellion, which is actually nothing but a cloak for the phallus centred capitalism.

However, when I had the discussion with a friend earlier today, he proposed another perspective:

The queer thing was never her intention, because she was suffering from a false awareness, caused by a massive influence from media, school etcetera. But her lust is stronger than the hegemony. It is a taboo, but not a mistake. She's enjoying it! That's exactly accentuating the liberating in breaking away from the taboo.

The point is that she isn't asking her boyfriend for forgiveness, but rather just saying that she hopes it's okay with him. She doesn't want to give up on him, as she likes him, but she wants to be free to discover and explore more sides of herself, her sexuality and her gender.

The wrong/right part of the song, is exactly about her inner struggle, where the the internalised discourse is fighting her sexuality.

Again, lots of contradictions in her lyric. Another possibility is, that it's a cynical speculation aiming at both the heterosexual AND the queer marked. W00t.

Reply to Thread