? servers

? players online

U.S. Army

• Content Count:  1403

I would strongly advise against making a decision that is going to affect the rest of your life based upon the thought process of a few weeks. I knew since I was 12 that I wanted to be a Marine. I graduated high school early just so I could become a Marine that much sooner. I didn't even turn 18 until I was already 6 months in. I was deployed in a combat zone before I was even legally allowed to drink. My point being you should probably take longer to think about your decision instead of rendering one after a few weeks.

Ever since I started my senior year of high school my parents have been on my ass about what I am doing once I graduate. They won't stop pushing for me to go to college because realistically if you don't go to college there aren't many jobs out there. Although since I wasn't the best student and didn't get good grades or attendance I had to figure out what my options were. I've been thinking about joining the military probably ever since I started HS so around 14 years old. Since I wouldn't be able to get into a decent college my best bet was a techinical college but that wasn't going to cut it for me. The benefits of course are outstanding in the army just hearing how much you get from serving alone. I do however have other reason why I'm interested in joining, I'm not too familiar what each branch offers but I wanted to join the medical field in some way or another. From there I'd be able to continue my career as a nurse out of the military. Thats my ideal plan, will it happen? Eh, usually my plans fall short and I'll end up doing something else in the military but I've been thinking heavily about my life decision the last few weeks, months even.

• Content Count:  3440

I have had several immediate family members join different branches of the military. My brother joined the AirForce as a medic and eventually licensed as a Nurse and then a General Practitioner. Now he makes a sick amount of money in medical sales. He was careful about which MO (Modus Operandi - basically your military position or job) he went for and like Caution said got out quickly. Served his time, took advantage of his schooling opportunities and learned a valuable skill-set while there. Yes he was broken down and rebuilt and went through some very trying experiences, but came out better for them.

I have another family member that joined the Navy, did not take the time to research his MO and ended up in a shit job and hated every moment of it. Didn't leave with a marketable skill-set and would never recommend anyone join the military.

None of this is to say one branch was better than the other. It all came down to how they approached the experience. Know what you're getting into. Work your ass off, take advantage of the opportunities that come up, and regardless of what branch of the military you join you will be fine.

Either way if you do end up joining. Thank you.

And a huge thank you to all the men and women that serve in our armed forces.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  11501

That's what my friend told me when he joined the army he wanted to be a combat medic and he said to the recruiter that he did drugs and they took most of his jobs away. He only had a few options so now he is a mechanic in the army.

Your friend was lying to you or his recruiter was lying to him.

• Content Count:  131

I did 5 years active duty in the Marine Corps (still on the inactive reserve portion of my contract). Not to brag or anything, but with my pending disability claims, job experience, and the money i get paid to go to school, I will be pocketing roughly 11 grand a month (over half of which is tax-free income) - all courtesy of the United States Marine Corps. Xeno and I ran this community for awhile while he was here stateside and I was in Afghanistan. Sometimes I'd manage to get WiFi access if we hit a main base, and we'd be in the middle of a rushed steam conversation that usually ended up with me having to leave because we were taking some sort of fire. @mNote and I were actually on the same base at the same time I think at one point, but conflicting schedules stopped us from being able to meet up.

Best decision I ever made in my entire life was joining the military - second best was getting out ASAP. While being a medic may be something you deem as admirable, do a job that actually gains you some sort of sought-after skill. Set yourself up for a future.Tons of people come on the forums saying they're going to join whatever branch, but few actually do.

I would strongly advise against making a decision that is going to affect the rest of your life based upon the thought process of a few weeks. I knew since I was 12 that I wanted to be a Marine. I graduated high school early just so I could become a Marine that much sooner. I didn't even turn 18 until I was already 6 months in. I was deployed in a combat zone before I was even legally allowed to drink. My point being you should probably take longer to think about your decision instead of rendering one after a few weeks.

Now, if you want to talk about branches, anyone who tells you not to enlist in a specific one should eat a fat cock. At the end of the day, what do you want to be called? A soldier, an airman, a sailor, a Marine? For me, it was an easy choice. It's not hating on any other branch, but I just would never wanted to be called anything other than a Marine. If your conviction is that strong for the Army, then take it. When I told my recruiter 'The Navy and the Army said they would give me a 20k+ signing bonus, a guaranteed job, etc, to join them...what can you offer me?' he told me 'I'll offer you the chance to become a Marine.' Call it brainwashed, too motivated, plain stupidity, or anything else, but I was sold at that point...I just wanted the title, fuck the bonuses.

I'd do it all over again, a scared shitless 17 year old kid standing on the yellow footprints, but I'd never spend a day doing it longer than I had to. A redeployment to the Middle-East is about the only thing that would make me remotely reconsider a reenlistment, but that's about it.

SwS6OkgUXKE

Thank you for your service, and I'm happy for you sharing your personal experience. People like you always inspire me. I am one scared 16 y/0 slob and you've stood up not only for your country but also for me, I'd like to thank you for that.

much love

• Content Count:  11501

I'd do it all over again, a scared shitless 17 year old kid standing on the yellow footprints

I didn't even realize it until right now...but, ironically enough, that was 6 years ago exactly, down to about the hour, of when I made this post.

• Like 5

Reply to Thread