? servers

? players online

U.S. Army

• Content Count:  1403

United States Army

The fast few weeks I have debating if I should go to college, continue my career after HS, or simply join the military. After long thoughts and discussions with my family I have chosen to follow my dreams and join the U.S. Army. Although I have yet to talk to the actual recruiter about the process of joining due to IRL issues. I'll most likely enlist sometime next month. That being said if there are veterans in SG I'd like to know how Boot camp was and the struggles of being enlisted. My dream is to become a Combat Medic and help soldiers hands on from the battlefield or even in a hospital. I have no idea what it takes to go into the medical field but that is the route I initially would like to take. My grandfather was in the Marine Corps, he was actually in the Vietnam War. Which is another reason why I have choose this path. I am not sure what I am getting myself into by joining the Army... I definitely know this is my next decision in my future after HS.

For the SG Veterans I'd like to know how long you served, where you were stationed at, etc.

If you'd prefer not to answer a few of my questions by all means tell me as much as you feel comfortable. I just want a better understanding of what I am getting myself into.. (even if this is only a simple gaming community all the info is much appreciated :))

• Like 7
Edited by Four
grammar nazi pointed out spelling mistakes

• Content Count:  1667

I'm not experienced with the military or anything but just wanted to say thanks for what you're going to do for our country. I will be joining the marine corps maybe in a couple months don't know yet due to irl stuff. My job in the marines will be infantry time for a change. Gl with the recruiter they always on your ass about stuff. Also they absolutely don't know anything about you, so whatever you tell them is what they see in you. They'll ask you a question if you ever did some sort of drug say no if you want to be a combat medic because they will not only take that job away from you but others and that will lead you to crappy jobs in the army. Gl

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1403

I'll just share this
After I Viewed this Reddit post I thought to myself "Do I really want to put myself through all of that for free college" The answer is yes. The fact is, that guy regret his decision not because his main concern wasn't to help others. It was the benefits that came with joining the military. Which of course I'm not saying is a bad choice because I still will thank him a thousand times for serving our country. The point that I am trying to get at is that I figured boot camp would be the hardest 8 weeks of my life, but afterwards it gets better. I have family members, friends, and acquaintances that have been into the military. They have told me stories about their service. The fact that I would get a chance to do any of this would be an honor. I am still looking forward to every second of my time enlisted. Hopefully I can get in contact with my recruiter sooner than later.

I would also like to thank you @Brandon for the kind words and advice. Also Thank you for your future service, I hope everything works out for you :thumb:

• Content Count:  1612

I could write an book on my experiences I've had while in. You will be broken, and you will be rebuilt. You will hit rock bottom in situations, but you will build lifelong friendships and enemies. All in all, if you have the ability to go to college without putting yourself in debt, or a career to pursue, do that. When I joined, it's because I wasn't able to continue going to college, and my state was in a recession. I was honestly tired of making shit money making sandwiches for bitchy people when I joined.

I'm not going to talk about it much in a public setting about my experiences in detail, but they will change you, for better, and for worse. But, it's all up to you.

Honestly, I would NOT recommend enlisting in the army, hit up the air force first, see what they have to say, and try to pursue enlistment through them. Then hit me up, and I can give you some advice.

Either way, hit me up on steam or teamspeak, and I can answer any question you might have about anything military related. I would also suggest contacting Caution as well, as we were in different branches, and had different experiences, and insight.

Just, don't sign anything yet. Recruiters are trained to be crafty.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  176

Honestly, I would NOT recommend enlisting in the army, hit up the air force first, see what they have to say, and try to pursue enlistment through them. Then hit me up, and I can give you some advice.

I second this as I am currently enlisting in the Air Force

• Content Count:  11501

I did 5 years active duty in the Marine Corps (still on the inactive reserve portion of my contract). Not to brag or anything, but with my pending disability claims, job experience, and the money i get paid to go to school, I will be pocketing roughly 11 grand a month (over half of which is tax-free income) - all courtesy of the United States Marine Corps. Xeno and I ran this community for awhile while he was here stateside and I was in Afghanistan. Sometimes I'd manage to get WiFi access if we hit a main base, and we'd be in the middle of a rushed steam conversation that usually ended up with me having to leave because we were taking some sort of fire. @mNote and I were actually on the same base at the same time I think at one point, but conflicting schedules stopped us from being able to meet up.

Best decision I ever made in my entire life was joining the military - second best was getting out ASAP. While being a medic may be something you deem as admirable, do a job that actually gains you some sort of sought-after skill. Set yourself up for a future.Tons of people come on the forums saying they're going to join whatever branch, but few actually do.

The fast few weeks I have debating...Although I have yet to talk to the actual recruiter about the process of joining due to IRL issues. I'll most likely enlist sometime next month.

I would strongly advise against making a decision that is going to affect the rest of your life based upon the thought process of a few weeks. I knew since I was 12 that I wanted to be a Marine. I graduated high school early just so I could become a Marine that much sooner. I didn't even turn 18 until I was already 6 months in. I was deployed in a combat zone before I was even legally allowed to drink. My point being you should probably take longer to think about your decision instead of rendering one after a few weeks.

Now, if you want to talk about branches, anyone who tells you not to enlist in a specific one should eat a fat cock. At the end of the day, what do you want to be called? A soldier, an airman, a sailor, a Marine? For me, it was an easy choice. It's not hating on any other branch, but I just would never wanted to be called anything other than a Marine. If your conviction is that strong for the Army, then take it. When I told my recruiter 'The Navy and the Army said they would give me a 20k+ signing bonus, a guaranteed job, etc, to join them...what can you offer me?' he told me 'I'll offer you the chance to become a Marine.' Call it brainwashed, too motivated, plain stupidity, or anything else, but I was sold at that point...I just wanted the title, fuck the bonuses.

I'd do it all over again, a scared shitless 17 year old kid standing on the yellow footprints, but I'd never spend a day doing it longer than I had to. A redeployment to the Middle-East is about the only thing that would make me remotely reconsider a reenlistment, but that's about it.

SwS6OkgUXKE

• Like 7

• Content Count:  11501

say no if you want to be a combat medic because they will not only take that job away from you but others and that will lead you to crappy jobs in the army. Gl

Ugh this is the biggest crock of bullshit I think I've ever seen. I had a fucking drug waiver - they will NOT take away jobs from you based upon you saying you smoked weed in high school or something. Don't believe this asinine statement for a second.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1667

Ugh this is the biggest crock of bullshit I think I've ever seen. I had a fucking drug waiver - they will NOT take away jobs from you based upon you saying you smoked weed in high school or something. Don't believe this asinine statement for a second.

That's what my friend told me when he joined the army he wanted to be a combat medic and he said to the recruiter that he did drugs and they took most of his jobs away. He only had a few options so now he is a mechanic in the army.

Reply to Thread