? servers

? players online

Bad News for Half Life 3

• Content Count:  4441

Recently Gameinformer came out with an article (link here) about the work being done on Half Life 3 and it is looking like the game is not going to get released for the next few years or likely- never. My personal prediction is that eventually they'll use Half Life 3 as a get out of jail freecard when shit like CS, DOTA, and such start to take a downturn & I think a massive policy at Valve is to lie out your ass about the Half Life games as much as possible. Anyway really interesting article, if you're a fan it's worth the read.

• Content Count:  1061

I gave up on the idea of Half-Life 3 years ago.

Even if it did release, it would not meet players expectations for the hype.

This.

Plus, when you think about it, Valve as a whole has really moved away from Single-Player, Story-Based, Puzzle games and moved into focusing solely on massive competitive gaming. (It's been 6 years since portal 2, and 10 years since HL ep 2... think about it.) DOTA2 and CS:GO are doing so well that there's really no need to focus on anything else.

Valve is a company at the end of the day. And right now, their most profitable/valuable products are doing just fine.

Like All T's said, when the day comes that CS:GO/DOTA2 can't sustain Valve anymore, they will release a new game to get people in love with the company again.

Whether that's gonna be HL Ep 3 or a new Portal, or an entirely new story-based experience (in VR?) is unknown. But the HL3 hype is too great to live up to.

• Content Count:  1621

I gave up on the idea of Half-Life 3 years ago.

Even if it did release, it would not meet players expectations for the hype.

Pretty much this^. They have waited far too long, people will probably still desire to see it happen, but if it happens not as excited as people were before. It's just too late :(

BUT I'll probably read it because you said baby :usa2:

Edited by Phonicz

• Content Count:  660

Half Life games have always come out to showcase new technology, with the source engine etc. They are nothing more than prototype games.

There will never be just a HL game released for the sake of it. Either they'll launch something with a full source 2 engine but thats already too late.

So it'll probably be in many more years and the game might not even be called half life.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  3740

Half Life games have always come out to showcase new technology, with the source engine etc. They are nothing more than prototype games.

There will never be just a HL game released for the sake of it. Either they'll launch something with a full source 2 engine but thats already too late.

So it'll probably be in many more years and the game might not even be called half life.

Exactly this. Valve has already committed and continues to commit to the idea of continuously 'building onto' the source engine, just like the concept of Dog from Half-Life 2. Therefore, it will be a very long time before we see another HL game, if ever.

• Content Count:  3401

From the Gabe Newell AMA.

Hey Gabe, thanks for this AMA! My Question is, how is the employee ratio at valve? For example how many work for dota 2, compared to csgo and other steam related stuff? I would really appreciate an answer :)'

GABE: It changes all the time. There's no fixed ratio, and people move to the project where they think they can create the most value.

So bassically no one is going to work on Half-Life if they can work on a easily profitable game like Dota or Counter-Strike.

Reply to Thread