? servers

? players online

Nintendo Switch (NX)

• Content Count:  202

I'm curious. I think the console is going to live or die based on its specs. It's weird to me that they were showing Skyrim of all games, this could mean one of two things: 1. the specs are underwhelming or 2. Nintendo just thinks Skyrim is popular and wanted to show that you can play it on the go.

I have a sinking feeling that it's going to be #1, just like every other Nintendo console. If the unit has modern specs when it's connected to the TV system or whatever, then fine; you can't expect a mobile device to be on par with modern consoles or PCs. But if the system is limited by the mobile specs, this thing is going to BOMB and I fear it might be the last straw for Nintendo.

• Content Count:  1534

I'm curious. I think the console is going to live or die based on its specs. It's weird to me that they were showing Skyrim of all games, this could mean one of two things: 1. the specs are underwhelming or 2. Nintendo just thinks Skyrim is popular and wanted to show that you can play it on the go.

I have a sinking feeling that it's going to be #1, just like every other Nintendo console. If the unit has modern specs when it's connected to the TV system or whatever, then fine; you can't expect a mobile device to be on par with modern consoles or PCs. But if the system is limited by the mobile specs, this thing is going to BOMB and I fear it might be the last straw for Nintendo.

It's basically an Nvidia Shield (powered by Tegra) which doesn't seem that bad

https://shield.nvidia.com/games/android

Should be easier to port 3rd party titles at least.

I think this really them trying compete with smart phones. Just looking at it, I don't think it will do good.

If that really is their target, then they really fucked up. This thing is way too big to compete with smart phones. No one is going to want to carry this around like a phone. Even carrying around a DS isn't too common, so I can't imagine people wanting this.

To me it looks like an attempt to bring together handheld and console gaming, which I don't think can work if the unit is limited by mobile performance.

• Content Count:  954

They aren't competing with smartphones.

Jesus christ you people do NOT know Nintendo at all.

They HAVE A SHARE in the smartphone market, they don't NEED to compete with them.

This is them making something different.

They haven't made a traditional video game console since the fucking N64.

Also, fuck everyone who thinks specs are everything. Several Wii U and PS2 games have shown that you can make amazing looking visuals despite weaker graphical power.

• Like 1

They aren't competing with smartphones.

Jesus christ you people do NOT know Nintendo at all.

They HAVE A SHARE in the smartphone market, they don't NEED to compete with them.

This is them making something different.

They haven't made a traditional video game console since the fucking N64.

Also, fuck everyone who thinks specs are everything. Several Wii U and PS2 games have shown that you can make amazing looking visuals despite weaker graphical power.

I'm not worried about graphics, in fact I could care less about them. But the fact is that Nintendo loses a lot of money because of their under-powered systems. Yes, their first party games look great, and some third party developers can make great games for Nintendo consoles as well, but with the power of modern PCs and consoles and the expectations that gamers have, developers often ignore Nintendo so that they don't have to scale down their game for their console. If you remember from the Wii, a lot of games that were ported to the Wii had to take the same approach as a handheld port; they basically had to remake the game entirely to accommodate the specs. Hell, even the WiiU has trouble playing 4 player Mario Kart sometimes.

I'm not trying to bash Nintendo or anything, I love Nintendo and would love for them to get back on track, but they've lost a lot of money and are very stubborn in this one aspect of their business and I think that's what is killing them.

• Content Count:  954

Quick update:

There's a huge list of confirmed third party developers and publishers working on the Nintendo Switch, including Bethesda, Ubisoft, EA and Epic Games (Gears of War, Unreal Tournament)

However, what is REALLY important is:

Level-5 (Professor Layton, Ni No Kuni, Dark Cloud. New Layton game for Switch?)

Take-2 (Developer of the 2K NBA series and owner of Rockstar, Gearbox, and Firaxis (Devs of Civilization))

Capcom (Potential for 1 or 2 halfway decent games, to come, and maybe permitting Nintendo to use Clover IPs, or maybe even...)

Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, formed of ex-clover team members, and the embodiment of all that is good in this industry.)

Grasshopper (Shadows of the Damned, Killer 7/Killer is Dead, No More Heroes)

Square Enix (Self explanitory. Likely more Nintendo KH games and a FF spinoff.)

And for the weebs

NIS (Developer responsible for the fantastic Disgaea series, also a publisher responsible for MANY horrible localizations, so bad that they drove BOTH compile heart AND gust away.)

Marvelous (Senran Kagura series)

However, while all of this is nice, it all pales in comparison to:

From Software.

The developers of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, as well as MANY, MANY amazing games before the soulsborne series, has a stake in the Nintendo Switch.

This ought to be interesting.

Reply to Thread