? servers

? players online

Discord?

• Content Count:  194

Not sure if anyone has suggested it or anything but i think a discord server would help the community since its easier and quicker to use than team speak plus no client download needed, you could easily sort out admin chat, reg, honored, etc and even servers could have channels for people that don't wanna use game chat. its very easy to set up and just a really good service would be nice to have. I also prefer discord over any other service I've used that are similar (skype, teamspeak, etc.)

Edited by XeNo

• Content Count:  6759

Suggested a few times in the past and have been rejected each time.

We won't be switching to Discord.

Reasons why:

• The hassle of convincing the entirety of our TS3 users to download and use a new application most of them have never interacted with before.
  • The servers are not permanently fixed, and anyone can make their own private one with ease. Instead of joining and being in separate channels with friends, they would most likely just make their own Discord server, which isolates people more.
  • It's in Alpha, and it's free. This is probably the biggest reason. There are far too many things that could cause it to shut down in the near future despite constant updates currently. Not enough funding can lead to worse service in the long run, also they most likely will in fact switch to a paid service once it's out of Alpha and there's no telling how much they'll charge. Either one of those circumstances alone is cause not to switch due to unpredictable future sustainability of either the service, or a server on it. Also while it's in Alpha there's guarantee to be bugs or disruptions/exploits people will find to shut servers down, mess with things, and overall cause unstable service to users.

TeamSpeak3 has been around for years and is proven to be stable, reliable, and provide everything we need. Whether Discord looks nicer or not doesn't really matter until they prove to be as reliable (or more) and significantly more worthwhile than TeamSpeak3.

While I won't deny it looks nice and it has a promising future if they keep it going, I find it to be more akin to trying to run our communities external voice server using only Curse Voice or a constantly running Skype call from a dedicated computer.

Not to mention, while somewhat funny, all of the constant references to memes and cat pictures give off an incredibly immature/unprofessional vibe from the people who are developing it. It's like parents who try to say they're hip with the hop music to relate to kids.

This was discussed to some degree in the CA section as well. We're not going to switch to Discord, at least not right now. TS3 already serves the purpose, and since it's still very popular and not broken, there isn't much of a reason to switch.

Threads that suggested Discord:

http://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63294&highlight=discord

http://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64947&highlight=discord

• Content Count:  2589

He isn't saying to switch to Discord- Just another option.

Similar to the previous suggestions of having gmod and csgo ttt? One alienates the other. There's no feasible reason to have two separate voice servers. Some would likely prefer one over the other and then you have the issue of people bickering between which two to join. It also further alienates people as they likely won't be on both at the same time. I've noticed no issues with TS3 and don't really see a reason for us to switch. TS3 has served us well and is user friendly.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  954

Discord is primarily for temporary groups and groups of people who like stuff to hang out together, not a community voice server like we need. I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

But then again

d644264fb1.png

b7bb45b0a4.png

• Content Count:  194

He isn't saying to switch to Discord- Just another option.

yea i wasnt really saying switch to discord more so that they could coexist, personally i dont like team speak i think its clunky, needlessly difficult to use and not very good overall but i guess people over here hate it lol

Reply to Thread