Notice
    XeNo
    Baghdad ass up

Raffle changes feedback

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get your thoughts on the changes I've made to the raffle so far listed here: http://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=68029

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, I also doubled the amount required for tickets and would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on them. I personally think it is working out nicely as it seems to not be too excessive, and it really rewards the people who are our dedicated players on the servers as they are still able to max their sub raffle tickets while having public raffle tickets. It also helped clear out a lot of the people who had been storing tickets over the past few months.

I also wanted to propose the idea of Double Raffle Point weekends that I could turn on to encourage players to play more, if people feel it's too hard to get tickets since I doubled the requirements.

Let me know what you guys think so far and what could be changed/improved!

Halo
    SG's Halo Fan

I think the double weekend would be awesome! Especially with school starting backup everyone doesn't have as much time to play, with homework and having to study. I don't usually get to play on weekdays because of homework and studying so it would be nice to have double weekend!

Cam
    Suicide Squad

I'm assuming the ticket price is doubled for sub raffles too? I think this was a great idea, this way people won't buy almost 1000 tickets (I'm talking to you Paul lol) and then completely overkill it. I also love the idea of double raffle point weekends too. That should encourage more activity.

LampShade
    Bebe is bae

I think the changes work well and the idea of double points would help more players getting on the server.

Dominic
    Beep Beep

Did making tickets more expensive really do anything? People who are less active will have less tickets than the people who are more active, it just lowers the number of both, I guess someone can tell me. I do like the idea of double points on the weekend though, would be cool to see.

FLuiD
    Server Administrator

I feel the raffle cost may be slightly too high (I would like to make very clear I think this is still a pretty good improvement; I am mainly talking of the sub raffle). The reason I say this is that if someone wanted to be able to max tickets in a month, the current price would be 75000 raffle points for all 150 tickets at 500 a pop. Divide that by 10 and you get a required minimum of 7500 minutes played in a single month. This comes down to be 125 hours or 5.2 days in-game on our servers EVERY MONTH. Now that is only excessive if you feel people SHOULD be able to max every month, so there's that to consider. As a couple more months pass and everybody has been drained of raffle points, this will GREATLY reward super-active players. While that sounds fantastic, I fear it might cause some of our members who are just incapable of putting THAT MUCH time on our servers to have far too low of a chance. If you were to lower it, a higher percentage of people would be maxed on tickets and that would in turn allow some of our still very active and valuable players a better chance at winning.

BTW 5.2 days is a little over 1/6 of an entire 30 day month. That is 1/6 of an entire month played not only on CSGO, but our servers alone. Like I said, it depends if you think we should allow more than a few people to max every month. If you don't think we should (which is fine), than this doesn't really matter I guess.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FLuiD For This Useful Post:
    BlackWhite (09-26-2016)

XeNo
    Baghdad ass up

Hey all, first off, sorry for the delayed response to these posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Did making tickets more expensive really do anything? People who are less active will have less tickets than the people who are more active, it just lowers the number of both, I guess someone can tell me. I do like the idea of double points on the weekend though, would be cool to see.
    First and foremost, the initial purpose of doubling the cost was to clear out all the raffle tickets people have been hoarding for the few months that there was no raffle. Which I think it did pretty effectively, people ran out of tickets and I think we're pretty close to a level playing field for everyone at this point. The past two raffles have been really good prizes that made pretty good incentives to shell out tickets on them.

Next, which I will touch on in response to @FLuiD's post as well, yes they do something. While you're right that less active players will get less tickets, and more active players will get more tickets, I changed only the cost of tickets, not the rate you earn points. This means that less active players will get even less tickets than before, and active players will have to be even more active to get the same amount of tickets. Effectively, this means the only people who are able to max Sub raffle tickets are the die-hard regs of our community, which leads into a response to Fluid's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLuiD View Post
    I feel the raffle cost may be slightly too high (I would like to make very clear I think this is still a pretty good improvement; I am mainly talking of the sub raffle). The reason I say this is that if someone wanted to be able to max tickets in a month, the current price would be 75000 raffle points for all 150 tickets at 500 a pop. Divide that by 10 and you get a required minimum of 7500 minutes played in a single month. This comes down to be 125 hours or 5.2 days in-game on our servers EVERY MONTH. Now that is only excessive if you feel people SHOULD be able to max every month, so there's that to consider. As a couple more months pass and everybody has been drained of raffle points, this will GREATLY reward super-active players. While that sounds fantastic, I fear it might cause some of our members who are just incapable of putting THAT MUCH time on our servers to have far too low of a chance. If you were to lower it, a higher percentage of people would be maxed on tickets and that would in turn allow some of our still very active and valuable players a better chance at winning.
    You're right about the math. Also you're coming close to the intentions behind the changes.

It's my opinion that this change to the prices more accurately reflect how the raffle system should work. Very first and foremost, the raffle system at its core for regular players is just free stuff you get for playing. For the sub members, you pay $5 a month for all our benefits, in addition to a chance at winning a prize in the sub raffle which is guaranteed to be $5 or more (Very often as of late the prizes are $7-$50) due to how the raffle system is made. This kind of system should first and foremost reward those who benefit our community the most, the die hard supporters that play hours on end in our servers. While less people are maxing, the point of the raffle system is not to max your points, but simply give you a chance at a reward for playing in the servers worth actual money. However those who do max, the ones who spend a dedicated amount of time in our servers, will have the highest chances of being rewarded for their contributions. In my opinion, this is how it should be.

Now, for some finer details of how the raffle system works and how I personally believe, based on your guys feedback, that it's working as intended. I welcome any feedback you guys can give on how this could be improved:

Currently the raffle system is 100% funded by Skins4Sub and member donations. I use a steam inventory price website to list all the current average steam market value of all the items in my inventory, and use the list of available raffle skins to sort out which is most expensive to least expensive (keep in mind all of them are $5+ because we don't take less). Next, I take the most expensive item on the list and make it the #1 prize for the Sub raffle, I then take the second most expensive and make it #1 prize on the Public raffle. Repeating this process all the way down until I have all the items for both raffles, along with two store credit prizes on the public raffle. Note: I will sometimes skip a skin if I feel we have too many already (i.e. 2 awp booms I will not put a third in, I won't put in all awps, etc.)

By sorting prizes out like this, I ensure that there's an even distribution of skins between the two raffles, however the Public raffle always has the less-priced skins while still being competitive with the Sub raffle. There's an argument to be had about not doing the raffle distribution this way, and instead giving the Sub raffle all the top 10 most expensive skins, but I don't like the idea of doing that. All these skins are donated by Subs and member donations, and I feel it's best to be fair about distributing them out to the community's most dedicated players (intentions are that they are the most active, however RNG does play a big role in whether or not a guy with the most tickets in the raffle ends up winning nothing).

So in the end, both parties benefit, however Subscribers still get the upper hand in terms of reward. Overall the Sub raffle should total to a higher amount of prize costs than the Public raffle, always. I welcome any feedback you guys can provide to this raffle process, as it's just what I thought should be done, however I'm open to new suggestions.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XeNo For This Useful Post:
    Dominic (09-28-2016), FLuiD (09-28-2016), Four (01-06-2017)

Four
    Totally not a Number

Quote Originally Posted by XeNo View Post
    Prizes. The raffle system is based entirely off of donations, as such the prizes may be high one month and low the next. To try and offset bad months, Caution and I will be discussing the idea of using SG funds (from subscriber/donation) to help pay for nice prizes in the raffle. In addition to this, there will be inclusion of game copies as well in future raffles, plus any other fun ideas we can think of to be won. We will be avoiding giving months of Subscriber best we can. I can elaborate on this, but the gist is that I decided I am not a fan of rewarding players with Subscriber through the raffles, it seems unfair to current Subscribers that the next month they will have more competition for better prizes.
    Through the last few raffles I haven't seen any game copies added into the prize list, I was curious if that is still going to happen?

The prizes so far have been great without a doubt, I was browsing the feedback thread, and came across this post.

Also with the excess donations over the limit we need, does that go towards the raffle?

XeNo
    Baghdad ass up

Quote Originally Posted by Four View Post
    Through the last few raffles I haven't seen any game copies added into the prize list, I was curious if that is still going to happen?

The prizes so far have been great without a doubt, I was browsing the feedback thread, and came across this post.

Also with the excess donations over the limit we need, does that go towards the raffle?
    Game copies kind of were an idea that haven't really been discussed. It's a possibility, but at this moment there's not going to be any in the next month or two at least.

Excess donations are for things like upgrades and other needs, they aren't really used for the raffle though they have been in the past. So I suppose the answer is yes, but rarely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to XeNo For This Useful Post:
    Four (01-06-2017)

frosty
    faggot

Quote Originally Posted by XeNo View Post
    Game copies kind of were an idea that haven't really been discussed. It's a possibility, but at this moment there's not going to be any in the next month or two at least.

Excess donations are for things like upgrades and other needs, they aren't really used for the raffle though they have been in the past. So I suppose the answer is yes, but rarely.
    Maybe let people donate games ($15 worth) for raffles/subscriber whatever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to frosty For This Useful Post:
    Insidious (01-06-2017)